Real Estate & Landlord Tenant Law

Date: December 10, 2012
Host: Roger T. Dunaway

View Transcript | Archive Index For All Legal Chats

Whether you're picking your way through the complicated process of buying or selling property, or concerned about whether the lease you're about to sign really protects your interests, bring your questions to real estate and landlord/tenant attorney Roger Dunaway for a live chat on December 10th, beginning at 2 PM Eastern (1 PM Central, 11 AM Pacific).

Law Office of Roger T. Dunaway, PLLC
321 High School Rd. NE STE D3 PMB 612
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
Phone: 206-719-4396
Fax: 206-338-3154
roger@rtdlaw.com

• "AV" Martindale Peer Rating
  • Superb rating on www.avvo.com (see profile for client/ peer reviews)
  • 2010 Top Lawyers- Seattle Metropolitan Magazine
  • Cum Laude graduate from University of Puget Sound School of Law
  • American Jurisprudence Award for Academic Excellence
  • Licensed to practice in Idaho, Oregon and Washington

My goal is to help clients solve their legal issues in a timely and cost-effective manner. I have been a transactional business/ real estate attorney for over 24 years. I have experience with negotiations, contract preparation and due diligence work for business/real estate transactions; commercial leasing; residential real estate; general business management; and corporate governance issues.

I have both private practice and in-house experience. I previously served as General Counsel for one of my business clients and understand issues faced by many small businesses.I most recently practiced with a regional law firm and have now opened my office on Bainbridge Island.I would welcome the opportunity to help you with your general business and/or real estate needs.

Live Chat Transcript

Rojeena: "I have got a problem with my tenant with the rent .. And it's being a couple of month now ..and my estate agent had given the two weeks notice to the tetant but till yet I haven't got any response ..and she also depends on housing benifit and had just extended her new contract ..what further step I have to do to get my rent back?"

Nanci D: "I was served with a 3 day in November i was confused because i always paid my rent and he claimed i hadn't paid in 4 months, my LL never followed thru. On December 3rd he took me to court for a anti harassment order, the judge dismissed it. Yesterday Dec 7th he filed a eviction on me with the court. I'm confused by this, i tried to give him rent and he refused it today. I was just served with the papers a few mins ago. I'm a month to month tenant, and i live in Washington state. I sent him a notice about no heat before he started this, is this retaliation on me for him losing in court and me telling him he has to provide adequate heat? He lied on the court papers to. What should i do? Court is on December 18th and i must respond by the 17th. Also, her filed papers with the court on the anti harassment case FILLED with lies about me, and he and his family continue to spread these lies, can i take him to court for slander and harassment? He has called and threatened to change the locks"

Nanci D: "My landlord served me with a 3 day in November for non payment of rent, he stated i haven't paid rent since August! I've always paid rent. He never followed thru with any other papers. So i was shocked when he took me to court for a anti harassment order. The judge dismissed this. December 7th he filed an eviction with the court and i was just served tonight. I'm a month to month tenant and i live in Washington state. Is this legal? Shouldn't he have gave me a 20 day notice to end my tenancy? And he's lying about me not paying rent! I have text messages about rent. He has always refused to give me a receipt and would only accept cash. We live in the same house and he wouldn't turn on the heat so i sent him a letter telling him he had to provide adequate heat or i would file a report on him. This is when i started having problems with him. Is this some form of retaliation on me cause he lost in court and my letter about the heat? Shouldn't he have gave me a 20 day notice to end my tenancy? And he's spreading lies about me. He even called me threatening to change the locks and throw me and my daughters stuff out. What should i do about this? Is he doing things correctly? I have to respond by the 17th of Dec. And court is the 18th."

Nanci D: "My landlord served me with a 3 day in November for non payment of rent, he stated i haven't paid rent since August! I've always paid rent. He never followed thru with any other papers. So i was shocked when he took me to court for a anti harassment order. The judge dismissed this. December 7th he filed an eviction with the court and i was just served tonight. I'm a month to month tenant and i live in Washington state. Is this legal? Shouldn't he have gave me a 20 day notice to end my tenancy? And he's lying about me not paying rent! I have text messages about rent. He has always refused to give me a receipt and would only accept cash. We live in the same house and he wouldn't turn on the heat so i sent him a letter telling him he had to provide adequate heat or i would file a report on him. This is when i started having problems with him. Is this some form of retaliation on me cause he lost in court and my letter about the heat? Shouldn't he have gave me a 20 day notice to end my tenancy? And he's spreading lies about me. He even called me threatening to change the locks and throw me and my daughters stuff out. What should i do about this? Is he doing things correctly? I have to respond by the 17th of Dec. And court is the 18th."

CAITSYAYA: "Nov 20 I gave landlord a Notice of intent to withhold rent because after 6-7 months she has not taken care problem that is causing health issue (bacterial infection lungs and sinues) ( We share same property, live different houses)Says she didn't get but have plenty of text of her talking about. with 3 separate threats abd many other kinds of threat to cut utilities, call police, eviction, etc., & I have never been late on rent prior. My rent is due 3rtd ( on disability). on the 5th she cut all utilities off including cable & internet. Next morning Dec 6th, I went and filed for Order to restore & stop retaliation ( In both Notice & Oder request I stated ALL Florida Statutes. Eviction Notice on door & All Back on when I got home but 1 our later cable & internet off &still 8th do not have .I wasn't aware I need to have summons attached to Order request, are their any other papers I need to attach to request when refile Monday? I have over 300 text were she talks about everything she has denied but have not let her know I have text. I am doing this all Pro Se because she called legal aide first; therefore, they heard her side anyway & although she wouldn't qualify (not poor & they don't help Landlords) they saying it would be conflict of interest even though I do qualify. they cannot even give me forms or paperwork to use! ONLY IN AMERICA :("

My Community

Community Membership New Users:

`