Family Chat Archive

Date: October 22, 2012
Host: Lee Borden

View Transcript | Archive Index For All Legal Chats

The statistics are discouraging: a third or more of all marriages end in divorce. Individuals usually don't get married with the anticipation of ending the union. Divorce can be difficult, confusing and disheartening. Join family law attorney Lee Borden on October 22nd, at 9 p.m. Eastern time (8 Central, 6 Pacific) for a discussion on divorce or other family law legal issues.

LEE BORDEN is a lawyer and divorce mediator who lives and works in Birmingham, Alabama. He is the webmaster of www.divorceinfo.com, the comprehensive Internet destination for people struggling with divorce. He graduated magna cum laude from both the University of Alabama and the University of Illinois. Lee is an Approved Consultant and Practitioner Member of the Academy of Family Mediators and is a practicing diversity trainer for the National Coalition Building Institute. He has taught several courses relating to divorce mediation, including "The Role of Financial Planning in Divorce" and "Legal Issues for Singles - Soup to Nuts." "I help people going through divorce," Borden says. "My primary concentration is helping people take control of their divorce by providing as much information as I can, using as many channels as I can. You need to know that I love my work."

Live Chat Transcript

jdice888: "I have a court ordered child support which was based on 37,000 dollars back in 2006. I am now making only 12,000 a year. I got out of the job I was doing in 2008 to start my own business, and I went bankrupt. Not untill now did i try to get my support modified by waiting i have a hugh arrears. When i went to court to get support modified judge told me get another job and would not lower my child support i am being forced to pay 525 a month and only make 1,000. Judge never even question that my ex quit her job making 10 dollars an hour and is on welfare. Seems quite unfair. At my first hearing a court referee recomended my support to be lowered to 90 a month in which the judge signed off on, but my ex appealed it. Then at new hearing judge gave me about 5mins of her time and ordered me to pay the 525 a month again. WHAT CAN I DO NOW."

My Community

Community Membership New Users:

`