Personal Injuries Chat Archive

Date: September 28, 2006
Host: Alan Garfinkel

View Transcript | Archive Index For All Legal Chats

It's hard enough getting hurt without have to worry about the paperwork behind a personal injury or medical malpractice issue. What's your first step legally? Who do you contact? What should you expect? We know how hard it is to try to sort these things out. Attorney Alan Garfinkel will be available to help you with your questions on Sept. 28th, 8 p.m. Eastern. Mark it on your calendar - this is important information you won't want to miss.

ALAN GARFINKEL is one of the founders of Katzman Garfinkel & Berger, a statewide community association law firm in Florida. Mr. Garfinkel heads the Natural Disaster Law Department at KG & B which is responsible for securing multiple successful Federal Jury verdicts including the largest to date verdict against QBE Insurance Company. A graduate of Florida State University, Mr. Garfinkel is "AV-rated" by Martindale Hubbell (the highest possible rating) and is admitted to the United States Supreme Court, Florida Supreme Court and multiple Federal Courts. Lawyers in his firm are licensed to practice in multiple states including, Alabama, California, Georgia, Louisiana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. Mr. Garfinkel's credentials may be reviewed at http://www.kgblawfirm.com

Live Chat Transcript

Ambrias: "I injured my finger in a door at work in a nursing home.it was one of those doors that closed slowly then shuts fast at the end.It was covered by workmans comp so i didn't have any medical expenses.My question is..can i claim for permanent disfigurment of my finger..i broke it and cut it down to the bone and had to have 9 stitches etc.It's not a severe disfigurement but nevertheless visible on my ring finger.I also still get a tingling feeling in my finger and some soreness.Any suggestions?...Not sure if there was any fault with the door but the next day they said that they had "fixed" it...Thank you."

Attorney Garfinkel: "ambrias: you posted a question about a workers compensation case. In Florida, an authorized doctor would have to rate a permanent injury. If the doctor found that you were injured and assessed a permanent rating, they would have to pay you impairment benefits. However in Florida, no pain and suffering, or mental anguish damages are paid. In fact, an employer and their insurance company are not even required to enter into negotiations and offer a settlement, it is voluntary"

Attorney Garfinkel: "I wish you well and hope all works out"

Attorney Garfinkel: "looks like no one has logged in tonight"

Attorney Garfinkel: "Just want to post a few reminders"

Attorney Garfinkel: "please make sure you review your auto policies"

Attorney Garfinkel: "if available, please ask about underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage, this coverage protects you if you are in an accident with an at fault driver who has no coverage or too little coverage"

Attorney Garfinkel: "also see if medical payments coverage is available. this pays your personal medical bills"

Attorney Garfinkel: "ask about collision coverage, if you are at fault for the accident, this coverage would still cover damage to your vehicle or damage caused by someone who hit you who is not insured"

Attorney Garfinkel: "if you live in a no fault state, then you may be required to have certain coverage called personal injury protection. It is importatnt to ask about your coverages and deductibles. In the case of personal injury protection, it is best to avoid deductibles"

Attorney Garfinkel: "Also, a reminder, please always check your homeowner's insurance coverage as well. Check to make sure value of home is accurate as well as personal property, llok into flood coverage (which may require a separate policy), look into mold coverage. It is important to understand your coverage. If you do not, ask for clarification!"

Attorney Garfinkel: "No one has any questions tonight!\"

Attorney Garfinkel: "You are all making it easy on me tonight."

Attorney Garfinkel: "Have a great night!"

My Community

Community Membership New Users:

`