If I'm denied FERS disability will I lose my SSDI benefits?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 05-28-2010 12:21 PM by I M Free. 4 replies.
  • 05-27-2010 12:17 PM

If I'm denied FERS disability will I lose my SSDI benefits?

I have applied for SSDI and was approved and the letter said I that my condition won't be re-evaluated for another 3 years.  I'm in the process of applying for FERS disability and am going to send them my SSDI award letter.  If I get denied FERS disability for any reason (such as not fully complying with Doctors prescription orders, possible alcoholism), will they communicate that reason to social security and possibly cause me to lose my SSDI benefits?

Please help! I'm terrified about this!

• 05-27-2010 6:56 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 5,911

Re: If I'm denied FERS disability will I lose my SSDI benefits?

No. That one will not happen. OPM's interest in your SSDI strictly is related to the offset issue.

• 05-28-2010 7:16 AM In reply to

Re: Reply:FERS disability will I lose my SSDI benefits?

The legal criteria governing each for the approval process are different.  A denial of SSDI does not impact the approval process of FERS; a denial of FERS does not impact the approval of an SSDI claim.  You do not need to worry.

Sincerely, Robert R. McGill, Esquire

• 05-28-2010 10:47 AM In reply to

Thank you so much for letting me know that.  It lifted tons of weight off my shoulders!  However, being that I have anxiety disorders, I continue to worry, "What if...?" 

I have one more question.  If I am denied FERS, will they communicate the reason of denial to SSA, OR, will SSA investigate to find out why I was denied FERS? 

The reason I ask this is because if I am denied FERS, the most likely reason would be non-compliance with therapy (not taking my medication as prescribed by my psychiatrist) for the first time in my life since all at once I am overly concerned about side effects and long-term problems the medication could cause.  For example, the Klonopin my psychiatrist prescribed me at first just 3 times day at .50 or .25mg (if .50mg makes me too drowsy), then he increased it to .50mg FOUR times/day.  I read that taking higher doses can cause anterograde amnesia, my ability to learn new things will be affected, and when it's time for me to work again, how am I going to work with not being able to learn new things(not be able to transfer to long-term memory)?  Also that amount of medication makes me so drowsy and out of it, how will I be able to work that way???  I get these concerns by reading the medical information about the drugs online and reading users comments about how horribly the medication affected them in a negative way.  Now I'm afraid to take too much of ANY medication or to take any medication too long (unless I read about them online first and determine them to be safe and more beneficial than problematic).  Even my psychologist agrees that it's best for me not to take any medication (and many psychologists are against it as I read online).

Explaining these things to OPM will probably do nothing.  They will just think that I was prescribed medication and didn't take it as prescribed, therefore I was being non-compliant and deny my claim.  Also, if I do not take any meds they will think that my anxiety disorders are not serious enough (which isn't true, but they won't care).

I got off track.  I'm very sorry.  I have a problem with that (anxiety again).  My basic question still stands...

If I am denied FERS, will they communicate the reason of denial to SSA, OR, will SSA investigate to find out why I was denied FERS?   

Thank you.  Sincerely, Frightened Heather

• 05-28-2010 12:21 PM In reply to

Since you have mentioned NOT being compliant with your Treatment a few times now, that does set off a Red flag. In fact I think you have to be compliant with your Medical Treatment(s), or the Medical Records will indicate such. Klonopin is supposed to be the best for not making you drowsy. I don't know how long you have been on it, but I have a serious warning. DO NOT stop taking this medicine without speaking with your Doctor.  I almost Died last Month when I decided 22 Years of Xanax were enough, and unlike you, I really liked Xanax!  I asked to try a different Benzo, and it made me feel terrible. Now I find out that Benzodiazipines are the hardest class of Drug to stop. I walked into the Hospital as "Walking Critical", and they invited me to stay for a Week. Twenty Thousand Dollars($20,000), and the FEP plan only wanted a $200 Co pay. I have learned we have better Insurance than I thought when you hit the Catastrophic protection.

As far as communication between the SSA, the OPM and your State, well there  is limited communication. I don't know what they talk about, but they do communicate. When I applied for Social Security just for the FERS requirement, the State of Florida wanted me to see their Doctor. I did not go. You have now met Attorney McGill, and a free consultation might be in order?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community