If I get married to my fiance will I lose my SSDI benefits?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 05-27-2010 3:08 PM by Taxagent. 3 replies.
  • 05-27-2010 2:31 PM

If I get married to my fiance will I lose my SSDI benefits?

I am living with my fiance and we planned on getting married in September.  Now that I have been approved SSDI we fear that if we get married my benefits will stop, and are holding off the wedding because of this and it hurts us both very much emotionally.  It said it the pamphlet I got from Social Security that if one gets married and receives spouse's benefits, then I will stop receiving SSDI benefits.  What do they mean by spouse's "benefits"?  I don't receive any money from him now and I will not receive any money from him when get married.  His income is not enough to support us both.  He has a hard enough time paying his own bills let alone any of mine.

ANY help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

• 05-27-2010 2:34 PM In reply to

Re: If I get married to my fiance will I lose my SSDI benefi...

Find out exactly how much he makes and then either call and ask someone at SS or go to their website and  I THINK they have the guidelines on there.

• 05-27-2010 2:52 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,021

Re: If I get married to my fiance will I lose my SSDI benefits?

If you are getting SSDI, your marriage should not affect those benefits.

If you are getting SSI, then your marriage likely would affect SSI.

If you are getting both, your SSDI will survive your marriage, but SSI probably will not. SSI is a welfare program and household income matters.

Spousal benefits wold only be an issue if you were at least 62 years of age and he was also receiving Social Security. I am not getting the impression that either of you is that old.

• 05-27-2010 3:08 PM In reply to

Re: If I get married to my fiance will I lose my SSDI benefits?

HeatherAnn:
    What do they mean by spouse's "benefits"? 

It means you are getting Social Security benefits based on a spouses' Social Security account, for example benefits Social Security benefits that you get based off your spouses' Social Security account if he dies. Simply getting married should not affect your SSDI benefits you receive for your own disability, though if you later apply for and get spouse benefits that benefit would replace your SSDI benefit. You might want to call SSA and confirm that marriage by itself won't terminate your benefits.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community