The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Student Loan ~ School failed to certify ~ ruins kids credit!

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sat, Nov 8 2014 5:40 PM by DOCAR. 27 replies.
  • Tue, Jun 15 2010 11:37 AM

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 15 2010
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

Student Loan ~ School failed to certify ~ ruins kids credit!

[name removed] UNIVERSITY!

FAILS TO CERTIFY MY SONS STUDENT LOAN AND RUINS HIS CREDIT! 

THAT IS NOT HIS FAULT AND WE NEED HELP OR OPTIONS ~ THIS IS UNFAIR

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 11:48 AM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

Re: Student Loan ~ School failed to certify ~ ruins kids credit!

[name removed] ~ 11k loan was approved and the school did not certify the loan........we tried to get another loan and we were denied.........now this account is in collections and my sons credit will be ruined if we dont get some help! Any advice anyone out there?

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 11:55 AM In reply to

what do you mean by certify? what exactly did the school fail to do? why was he not paying on the loan? he should have been notified well beforehand that the account was headed for collections.

did your son attend school? has he met with his financial aid contact on this issue?

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:07 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

Re: Student Loan ~ School failed to certify ~ ruins kids cre...

We had a loan in place with [a bank].  At that point the school needs to certify that the student goes to the school and then the funds are dispersed.  Well [the university] Financial Aid Dept dropped the ball and did not certify the loan.  The loan the timed out and now my son cannot get approved for the loan since it is a prior year.  He has tried and tried and then tried for another smart option loan with Sallie Mae to cover this school period and still cannot get approved.............Now the money due for that 2009 period is in collections and thus will ruin his credit.  He is still in school and is not able to pay this money.  

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:09 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

Yes we have spoken with the Financial Aid director.  [He] would never even had gone to this school but he won the most prestigious [university] Scholarship of $7500 but he still has an outstanding $11,0000.00 balance for the First semester Sept ~ Dec 2009

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:10 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

Was told pay or his credit will be ruined.  [The university] cannot help.  

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:17 PM In reply to

GODMUTHA:

At that point the school needs to certify that the student goes to the school and then the funds are dispersed.  Well [the university] Financial Aid Dept dropped the ball and did not certify the loan.   

if the school didn't certify that your son was in attendance, then [the bank] would not have disbirsed the money and there would be no loan. is it the [bank] loan that's in collections? or is the school coming after your son for their tuition because [the bank] never sent them the money?

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:23 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

Correct there is no loan since [the university] never certified......

IT IS [the university] COMING AFTER MY SON FOR THE MONEY

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:36 PM In reply to

your son has to pay for the services he received. he attended school, and ultimately it's his responsibility to arrange payment for it. i find it hard to believe that the school let him go the whole year with no indication that they hadn't received the tuition payment they were expecting - i was under the impression that most schools automatically drop you if payment is not received by a certain date.

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:40 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

He only went for the first semester and transferred out ~ thankfully.  This is ridiculous..........this will effect all his future student loans and he is only 18..........that failure to certify an approved loan could ruin his future since we are not in a position to pay 11K for a semester of school...........we just do not have the 11K

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 1:45 PM In reply to

• needabeer
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • TX
    • Posts 5

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplo...

If I understand correctly, your son attended [the] University for a semester and did not pay the required tuition/fees and could not secure a loan so now the school is coming for their money. As someone mentioned earlier, your son would have been dropped for non-payment of tuition.  I'm assuming your son attended either the fall or spring semester as the site stated that summer and winter payments are due in full at registration. I would think the student handbook (or equivalent) would have this spelled out in greater or equal detail.

How was your son able to transfer schools if his academic records were held?  I'm curious because I've been enrolled at three universities and my experience has been that if you owe them a cent they will not release transcripts and other universities will not enroll you without full transcripts.

I would think late fees have been adding on since August 15th, 2009 so your son may want to take care of this quickly.  Has he considered attending a local community college and then working on the side to save money?  I and many others have done that and may be a possible solution. Good luck to you and your son.

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 2:05 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

My son transferred out of the school before the account went into collections and all transcripts were released.

Again he attended [the university] Fall winter semester of 2009 ~ Sept ~ Dec 2009

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 2:11 PM In reply to

Hi GODMUTHA-

I'm sorry for your son's situation.

Please do not continue to use the name of the university. The site rules prohibit naming institutions, companies or individuals. I will edit the posts to remove the name.

Thanks for you cooperation with future posts.

Sharon

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 2:13 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

Re: Hi GODMUTHA-

OK Sorry did not realize.

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 2:54 PM In reply to

I am sorry for your son't situation.  However

1)  schools are under no obligation to certify private loans - many will, many won't

2)  If your son did not pay his tuition, he certainly is liable for it

3)  While it may ruin his credit (just like any other bill that goes unpaid), it won't prevent him from obtaining federally guaranteed student loans

4)  I know you don't like to think it's his fault, but it is - how did he think he was going to pay his tuition?

5)  You can't get a student loan for an enrollment period that is over

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community