The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Student Loan ~ School failed to certify ~ ruins kids credit!

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sat, Nov 8 2014 5:40 PM by DOCAR. 27 replies.
  • Tue, Jun 15 2010 2:59 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 15 2010
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

Re: Hi GODMUTHA-

4)  I know you don't like to think it's his fault, but it is - how did he think he was going to pay his tuition?

WE HAD AN APPROVED LOAN THAT IS HOW THE SCHOOL DID NOT VERIFY WITH THE LENDER THAT HE WENT TO THE SCHOOL AND SCREWED UP OUR FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENT TO PAY

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:14 PM In reply to

• needabeer
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • TX
    • Posts 5

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplo...

Every university I know always says that is ultimately the responsibility of the student to ensure that payment is made in full. I don't think there is anything that can be legally done to the university, but I'm not a lawyer so please correct me if I'm wrong.

You could try to call attention to the problem in the media if you really feel strongly about the issue.  However, your son's case is far from unique and I'm not sure how many people would feel sympathy when he hasn't paid the required amount that thousands of other students do every semester.

The bright side is that your son is learning to be proactive in financial dealings at 18 and that should help him later in life to avoid pitfalls.

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:52 PM In reply to

"THAT IS HOW THE SCHOOL DID NOT VERIFY WITH THE LENDER THAT HE WENT TO THE SCHOOL AND SCREWED UP OUR FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENT TO PAY "

I am in school now and the onus is ALWAYS on the student to keep in touch with the financial aid office PRIOR to enrolling and starting classes and make sure their aid is secured if needed.  He didn't do that and so now he has a tuition bill. 

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:57 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

Every College has a finance department...........the school pays that staff to perform certain duties................... of the duties is to ensure all Student Loans are certified so that the school can get paid..............A staff member dropped the ball period on this one since the loan was approved and guaranteed. Was a done deal ~ little did we know that the school did not do its end so the bank could fund or disperse the loan to handle the tuition ~ 

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 4:22 PM In reply to

GODMUTHA:

~ little did we know that the school did not do its end so the bank could fund or disperse the loan to handle the tuition ~ 

what you don't seem to be willing to accept is that ultimately it was your son's responsibility to ensure that the ball didn't get dropped. you're here arguing on your son's behalf about something that you feel someone else should have done on your son's behalf - he's an adult, and needs to take some personal responsibility. his best bet at this point is going to be contact the school and try to work out some sort of payment plan in order to salvage his credit, not to refuse to pay because he feels like it shouldn't have been up to him to make sure his tuition got paid on time.

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 4:33 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

My son does not work for the school and could not "CERTIFY" that he attended the school .

The loan process after bank approval goes back to the Schools Financial Aid Dept ~ at which point the School ~ CERTIFIES ~ that the student is attending ~

at that point the funds are dispersed to the school..................

so NO my son could not do that and did not drop the ball.............. 

The only one who could CERTIFY the loan was the school and then they would have received the money that we agreed to pay via a LOAN.

I am not arguing with anyone on my sons behalf.  But I am mad that we are in this position due to inefficient staff .

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 4:38 PM In reply to

GODMUTHA:

My son does not work for the school and could not "CERTIFY" that he attended the school .

no - but he could have been in constant contact with both the bank and the financial aid office making sure it had been done prior to the deadline, rather than assume that someone else was going to take care of it.

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 4:43 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

I agree when you used the word CONSTANT.................

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 4:46 PM In reply to

• GODMUTHA
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 14

Being his first year in College and my first go round with this ~ I was very disappointed in the whole process and procedures.........I feel it is ridiculous.......absol... nuts!  Half the time when being in constant contact .........you cannot even get a live person on the phone or how many phone calls went unanswered..........did he assume someone would take care of it.........No that is not the case........he did not assume that...........but we did not know the procedure that the school needed to certify that he went to the school AFTER the loan was approved.  Having said that we live and learn ~ but either way feel it is crazy!!!

• Wed, Jun 16 2010 12:55 PM In reply to

"you cannot even get a live person on the phone or how many phone calls went unanswered.........."

I don't know about his school but at mine you NEVER wait on a phone call or try and call.  You get up and GO IN TO the Financial Aid office and wait until they see you.  That is the ONLY way to get a clear answer.

"but we did not know the procedure that the school needed to certify that he went to the school AFTER the loan was approved."

Yes, but common sense dictates that until he actually HAS the money deposited to his student account that he not take classes he hasn't paid for. 

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Fri, Jun 18 2010 2:24 PM In reply to

• Matt1972
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 23 2003
    • IL
    • Posts 138

I'm curious if he was to be making payments as soon as the loan was certified by the school? If so, did he not wonder why there were no bills coming for payment?

I agree with the other posters that he needs to work out some sort of payment plan (just as he would need to after finishing school). He may need to look at getting some sort of job if he doesn't already have one to do this. I know working during college is difficult but even with 12-15 hrs a semester as a biochem major, I was still able to work about 25 hrs per work in a lab on campus. Pay wasn't great but it was above minimum and I got into a pharmacology program with the professor who ran the lab as my advisor/mentor.

I wish your son luck!

Matt

• Sat, Nov 8 2014 1:07 PM In reply to

• momdmc
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 8 2014
    • IL
    • Posts 1

I realize it has been several years now, but if you can share the outcome, I'm interested.  I have a similar situation where my daughter was told she qualified for various federal loans and to supplement had opted to use the federal PLUS loan.  We did everything on our end, but the school failed to process (certifiy or whatever) the loan on their end.  The let her graduate and get transcripts.  She graduated in Jan 2013 and we didn't get an invoice until Feb 2014 over a year later.  I had initially stalked the school for an answer on the PLUS loans, but after three months gave up.  Now the school is threatening debt collection attorney.  I was wondering how you resolved your case or if you could share any lessons learned. Thanks!

• Sat, Nov 8 2014 5:40 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

It's been over 4 years since he last posted, so I don't expect a response

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community