Can Medicaid put a lien on our house?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 06-17-2010 11:43 PM by Wendyma. 4 replies.
  • 06-17-2010 5:42 PM

• Wendyma
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-17-2010
    • TX
    • Posts 3

Can Medicaid put a lien on our house?

My mom was disabled with COPD for a long time, at the end of her short life, she was in a nursing home and on Medicaid.  When she died, my dad had the deed to their house put in his name only and when he died the deed was transfered to us three kids.  Now we are in the processing of selling the house and have a buyer.  One of my brothers said he got a letter from Medicaid saying that we owe them for care they gave my  mother and if we don't pay they will put a lien on the house. It is in Ohio, can they do this after the deed has been transferred twice?  And is there a website I can find out if this is true (my brother who lives in the house and is taking care of selling it is not trust worthy)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• 06-17-2010 6:04 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,168

Re: Can Medicaid put a lien on our house?

You might want to do a title check. The lien may already be there. It looks like your brother received something threatening same, but you don't say how long ago. If he blew it off, Medicaid probably went ahead and placed the lien.

The kind of title  transfers that you made probably did not require the involvement of a title company because no money changed hands and it was all in the family. You can bet that a potential buyer will want a clean title and if a wart shows up, it will have to be cleared.

So, if a lien shows up, it will have to paid off from the sales proceeds before any of you see any money from the sale. Hopefully, no one is counting their chickens before they have hatched. Hopefully, the possible lien is not so much money that it wipes out whatever you hoped to realize from the sale.

• 06-17-2010 9:02 PM In reply to

• Wendyma
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-17-2010
    • TX
    • Posts 3

I don't know the specifics but a lawyer is the one who changed the deed over to us and it was finalized 8  months ago.  The Medicaid people just filed for the lien THIS WEEK....once the bank of the buyer inquired with EVERYONE that is when Medicaid said "uh huh" and filed the lien, we had never heard anything from them until now.  They say my dad owes 128,500.00  OMG,  he was only in the nursing home for 3 weeks before he died...I thought Medicaid didn't kick in to pay for it until they had been in the NH for more than a month???  And how can 3 weeks of a NH cost that much money??? Also, the house only appriased for 26,000.00 and we were selling it for 18,00.00 (because of work that needs to be done on it).

• 06-17-2010 11:05 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,585

You need to go back to estate's lawyer  or executor.

If the estate was properly probated --your time sequence is not clear--its possible that the Medicaid claim was filed too late to be effective against Dads estate and its not effective against his heirs .

I don't know but that where I'd check.

• 06-17-2010 11:43 PM In reply to

• Wendyma
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-17-2010
    • TX
    • Posts 3

My brother has a lawyer looking into it and that is what he seems to think.....that they filed too late.  Thanks for the info....I know it was probated, that is what took it so long to get put in our name...my father will have been dead 2 years on Aug 1st

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community