Following too closely citation Atlanta, GA. Distracted

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 06-28-2010 6:19 PM by Ford. 6 replies.
  • 06-22-2010 10:35 AM

• Mtwn4now
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • GA
    • Posts 2

Following too closely citation Atlanta, GA. Distracted

Following too closely citation Atlanta, GA because I was distracted by the Flashing Speed Limit sign? I was issued a Following too closely citation (40-6-49-A) in Atlanta, GA. I hit a Mercedes that had come to an abrupt stop. I hit the Mercedes because I was distracted by Flashing Speed sign that was flashing 32mph, the speed I was driving. The speed limit was 30mph. I slowed down until it flashed 30mph & then I hit the Mercedes. How should I plead? Should I plead guilty and advise the Judge that I was distracted by the flashing sign? There was minimal damage to the Mercedes & NO damage to my vehicle.

• 06-22-2010 10:41 AM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,173

Re: Following too closely citation Atlanta, GA. Distracted

Find out if you can something like Defensive Driving in lieu of the fine.  If so, the citation would likely go away.  If you can make this arrangement, I believe that you don't have to admit guilt, but I could be wrong.

Sounds like the ticket was justified.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 06-22-2010 10:45 AM In reply to

What difference does it make?

You ARE guilty of following too closely.

Pleading guilty and admitting you were distracted is the same as pleading guilty and saying nothing. Same results. Fine and points.

Pleading not guilty won't get you anywhere because you hit somebody and that's all the court needs to know to find you guilty.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 06-22-2010 12:13 PM In reply to

"How should I plead?"

I live in ATL and can't tell you how to plead but I can tell you what will happen when you go to court.  The guy who rear ended me "because he THOUGHT I was going to go and not stop for the stop sign and passing cars" was found guilty in the blink of an eye.  Georgia like many states has a law that says if you rear end someone you are automatically at fault.  Be glad you were only cited for following too closely.  Even if you were going the speed limit if you failed to see the car in order to stop in time then he could have also ticketed you for going to fast for conditions. 

Check into traffic school to mitigate any points you will get on your license. 

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 06-22-2010 4:34 PM In reply to

Reckless or inattentive driving...

Following too closely is usually just an infraction.  What you've described is likely better charged as inattentive driving, or even reckless.  Those are usually misdemeanors with the lovely possibility of jail and probation.

I'm not in your state, however.  If that's how it works there, you likely want to take the hit on the infraction before a smart prosecutor gets ahold of that and amends it.

• 06-27-2010 7:01 PM In reply to

• Mtwn4now
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • GA
    • Posts 2

Re: Reckless or inattentive driving...

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me the difference in pleading Guilty & No Lo?

• 06-28-2010 6:19 PM In reply to

Re: Reckless or inattentive driving...

My state doesn't have nolo pleas.  My recollection is that a guilty plea admits to the charge, while nolo admits that you stand to be convicted based on the evidence, but don't admit guilty.  I believe the actual difference is that a guilty plea can come into a civil action, but nolo cannot.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community