DUI Statute of Limitations-Delaware

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Jul 8 2010 12:49 AM by ClydesMom. 1 replies.
  • Wed, Jul 7 2010 11:47 PM

DUI Statute of Limitations-Delaware

I recently tried to renew my drvers license in Ohio. I was flagged from a national data base and informed to call a number in Delaware. I called and was told that I needed to prove completion of an Alcohol edu8cation program and send $145.00 as a result from a DUI arrest from 22 years ago. I had never had a problem with this in the past. Is there not a statute of limitations for this ? Is there a reciprocal agreement between Ohio and Delaware? If Delaware just wants money for their coffers,why would they want an alcohol program completed from an arrest of 22 years ago [I was 21 at the time]. The whole thing seems absurd,because their stated basis for this is to reinstate my driving privileges in Delaware,of which I care nothing about.

• Thu, Jul 8 2010 12:49 AM In reply to

Re: DUI Statute of Limitations-Delaware

"Is there not a statute of limitations for this ?"

If you were convicted and part of getting your license back and keeping it was the class:  no.  The SOL only applies to bringing charges not to completing the requirements for the court and DMV.

"Is there a reciprocal agreement between Ohio and Delaware?"

Yes, it is called the Interstate Driver's License Compact.  States that participate share their information with a national database and honor the suspension, revocation, and license requirements of other states.  So when DE suspended your license for not paying the fine and attending class; when OH eventually caught up with it they honored it too under the DLC.

"The whole thing seems absurd,because their stated basis for this is to reinstate my driving privileges in Delaware,of which I care nothing about."

Under the DLC if you are suspended in DE then you are suspended everywhere that participates.  $145 is cheap.  Pay it and see if they will let you attend an approved class in OH and send in the paperwork.  Getting stopped and charged with driving on a suspended license will be far worse.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community