Can my employer make me pay back a cash drawer shortage??

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Jul 14 2010 8:24 PM by PattyPA. 5 replies.
  • Sat, Jul 10 2010 2:14 PM

• katydyd
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 10 2010
    • IL
    • Posts 2

Can my employer make me pay back a cash drawer shortage??

I had a cash drawer shortage the other day at work of $60. Today the "financial advisor" (the owner's fiance) gave me a written memo stating that I have to pay the money back. I've only been employed in Illinois for a couple months and I am wondering is that legal in this state?

I plan to check with IDOL but they aren't available until Monday. If you can post a link to a law that deals with this subject either way I would love it!

Thank you in advance for any information you offer.

• Sat, Jul 10 2010 2:23 PM In reply to

Re: Can my employer make me pay back a cash drawer shortage??

They can't deduct it from your check but they CAN fire you for having a drawer shortage.

I found the answer at the IDOL website  http://www.state.il.us/agency/idol/faq/qawage.htm  :

Can my employer take money out of my wages to cover cash register shortages or damages to the employer’s equipment/property?

No, an employer cannot deduct money from your pay for cash or inventory shortages or damages to the employer’s equipment or property, unless you sign an express written agreement allowing the deductions AT THE TIME the deduction is made. 56 Ill. Adm. Code 300.730 and 300.820.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Sat, Jul 10 2010 2:24 PM In reply to

Your employer can't MAKE you do anything.

However, the employer can certainly fire you for coming up short.

But that probably won't disqualify you for unemployment benefits.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Sat, Jul 10 2010 7:34 PM In reply to

• katydyd
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 10 2010
    • IL
    • Posts 2

My employer doesn't plan to take it out of my check but instead gave me a written memo that I have to "settle the unbalanced debt of $60.00" So my question is more about whether they can make it a requirement to pay that back so that I can keep my job.

• Sat, Jul 10 2010 7:38 PM In reply to

katydyd:
    So my question is more about whether they can make it a requirement to pay that back so that I can keep my job.

That they can do.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Wed, Jul 14 2010 8:24 PM In reply to

Re: Can my employer make me pay back a cash drawer shortage?...

Contact the state DOL to determine whether or not requiring the employee to repay out-of-pocket is treated the same as being deducted from your pay.  In some states, that it the case; I  do  not know if IL is one of those states.

Either way, if the repayment would take you below minimum wage or your full overtime pay for the workweek in which it would otherwise be repaid, such repayment requirement would be a violation of federal law.

http://www.dol.gov/whd...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community