***[A company] Messed Up My Taxes***

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 08-05-2010 12:01 PM by DPH. 7 replies.
  • 08-04-2010 1:15 PM

***[A company] Messed Up My Taxes***

I am unsure what to do with my situation but, this is what happened.

I went to [a company] to do my taxes for the 1st time on 02/18/2009. The woman who did my taxes was CB. I told her I have never done my taxes before and to help me with them. She asked for all my w2 forms from my employers. I told her I have 1 of them but not the other (FJ). FJ didn't give me a w2 form, was out of business and never sent me one. But, I told her I do have my last paycheck stub from them. I asked her if I can use that instead. She took it out of my hands and looked at it and said "Don't worry about it. It's less than $2000. The IRS won't care about such a small amount. So we will just file your return with the 1 employer/w2 form." I told her "I don't know anything about taxes. Are you sure I don't need to file this amount with Friedmans, to the IRS?" She said again "Don't worry about it. It's not even $2000"

So we proceeded with my tax return. I claimed me and my son. I paid for the peace of mind, just in case if there was a problem with my taxes. I also requested the emerald card to receive money in 2 days.

Two days later, I called the number on the back of the card and it stated there was a problem with my return. I called IRS and unfortunately my son's father claimed him on his return. Also, around that time I received a letter in the mail from the IRS. It was requesting information about a missing employer/wages.

Me and my son's father went to the IRS. My son's father fixed his and mine was fine except for the missing FJ wages. The IRS told me to go back to my tax preparer and mail in the FJ wages with a 4852 form(substitute for W2 form). Then, they told us both, to go back to each of our tax preparers. Print out physical copies of Federal and State, then mail.

I went back to [the tax preparer] to get physical copies of both Federal and State to mail and to tell them about the 4852 form for FJ wages. When I got there. I spoke to CB. Once she heard everything about my taxes including the FJ situation. She told me not to worry about the letter I received from the IRS. If I had only received that one letter. It's nothing to worry about. She then decided to pass me off to another tax preparer named [removed]. As I was walking over to [name removed] desk. I heard CB tell her "You can have this client. I'll let you take the credit."

Once Susan sat down with me at her desk. She proceeded to print out my Federal and State documents, so I can mail them in. Once they were printed. I was given the documents. She told me to put a stamp on them and mail them in myself. She then asked me to pay for their services up front which was $345.00.

I left and decided to go back to the IRS. To ask them about the letter and tell them what CB said. They told me she is very incorrect in what she said and to file an amended return with a 4852 form. They also told me to file with [the company] because, they were my tax preparer so they should fix this issue.

I went back a few days later and spoke with [name removed] she said she doesn't remember a FJ paycheck stub. I told her "The 1st day I was here. CB did my taxes and I told her about it. She didn't just hear about it. She held the paycheck stub in her hands and told me not to worry about it." [name removed] then said "Go back to the IRS and let them handle it because, they are the IRS and handle these things." I went back to the IRS and they told me to go back to [the company tax preparer]  to fix my situation.

I finally got tired of driving everywhere because I wasn't getting anything resolved. It was costing me gas money which I barely had.  Not to mention around this time. My mother got really ill with pancreatitis. So I had her son's(my brother's) live with me because, she was in the hospital for weeks. So I had to take care of them and my baby boy. Also, I held it off because, it's not like I didn't have a job. I was being threatened to be fired from my job because of taking so many days off to try and resolve this matter.

Even though it's hard to believe. I went back to [the company]  to do my taxes. I even sent my son's father there to do his taxes as well. Unfortunately, I didn't get any compensation for sending him there. If I had known that. I wouldn't have sent him there obviously... But, I figured they will resolve my situation and they had all my information.

On 02/08/2010, RB was my tax preparer. He did my taxes for the year 2009. After he did my taxes. I told him about what had happened the previous year with CB. He told me "She is no longer here because, she is related to the manager of this office. [This company]  prefers to not have relatives working for one another. Have you to talked to the manager about this? If not, good luck because CB is the manager's sister . Honestly, she would most likely take the word of her sister versus yours." You can imagine after that I was very disturbed.

After my taxes were finished. I requested to speak with the manager. She looked at my paperwork and said "CB didn't do your taxes because she doesn't work here!" I responded with "She did my taxes last year not this year." She then looked through it again and said "CB didn't do your taxes. {name removed] did your taxes!". I told her "She did my taxes the first day came to this office. I have her signature from the loan application of the emerald card along with her name on other documents. She later passed me off to her. That is why her name is on the receipt." She then said "I don't see a FJ anywhere." I told her "That's because your sister 'CB'. Told me not to put it in my return because it is such a small amount." She then made me furious by saying "Well maybe she didn't put it on there because, you were in such a hurry to get your thousands of dollars!" I then told her " I gave her all my information and documents. I also told her from the start 'I have never done my taxes before'.Therefore thinking, since she was obviously working at this office. I trusted she knew what she was doing." She told me she would look into this but, nothing was ever done.

When I left her office I was beyond furious because of the way she spoke to me. I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE. EXPERIENCED SUCH RUDENESS AND BAD SERVICE FROM A WELL KNOWN ESTABLISHMENT. After that day she told me to go to her office many times. Therefore causing me to lose more work and finding a babysitter for my son. Both have taken a toll on me financially.

I later got the return amended but, I owe money to the IRS. I refuse to pay for someones mistake. I have called [the company]  directly, many times. But, nothing ever happened.

Later in April of this year. I finally got through to someone. They told me I would be reimbursed for the taxes I owe and I would get half off discount for next year to do my taxes with them. They said I would receive a check in the mail within 4-6 weeks.

Nothing happened so I decided to contact BBB. BBB contacted [the company]  to try and settle this with me. I got a call from [the company]  a few days later. The woman said she would reimburse me for the tax preparation fee I paid and the amount of taxes I owe. So she offered me more than the woman back in April...

I have spent so much money in gas going back and forth to their office. The money I spent, trying to find someone to watch my son on the days I was told to go to their office. Lost wages and the risk of being fired from my job-which I did lose my job in the end.

They called again and they said they were going to send me a check in the mail for $400. I told them I do not agree or accept that amount. Considering how much I've spent ($3000+). They said they are going to send me, the check next day anyway.

I want to hire a lawyer that will help me get this company to reimburse me for all my expenses. I am not requesting payment for mental anguish or pain and suffering. All I want reimbursed is what Cost Me Money. Which would be lost wages, gas and childcare expenses and the tax preparation fees. Since I purchased the peace of mind from them(just in case if I did owe taxes because of them - which I do)I want to also be reimbursed for taxes owed, as well.

I believe I have a case because, if I didn't [the company] wouldn't be giving me anything. I feel like they are giving me such a small amount to keep me quiet and drop everything.

So my question is this. Should I accept the $400 they are trying to give me and just walk away? Should I let BBB handle this? Or should I refuse the check and hire a lawyer, to sue them in court and reimburse me for my expenses?

All I wanted when I first came to this company. Was to get my taxes done because I have never done them before. I trusted the person that was there because I figured she knew what she was doing, to be working there. I went into that office with everything out in the open. I had nothing to hide. I was a single parent with an infant, living paycheck to paycheck. Why would I want to make life more miserable for me and my son? When I went to their office. I never thought this would happen.

Companies like these should not do this to people. We are the reason they exist.

• 08-04-2010 1:25 PM In reply to

Re: *[A company] Messed Up My Taxes***

Sorry, but that was way too long and I zoned out about half way through.

Bottom line, though, whatever additiional taxes you owe, you would have owed anyway.

Any interest or penalties that you owe the IRS for the messed up taxes you can sue [the company] for in small claims court, and maybe a refund for any additional fees they charged above what they charged you in the first place.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 08-04-2010 10:05 PM In reply to

Smileybaby-

I edited your post to remove the company name and the name's of individuals as prohibited by our site rules. Please refrain from posting this information in the future.

Thanks,

Sharon

• 08-05-2010 1:20 AM In reply to

Re: ***[A company] Messed Up My Taxes***

The extra tax that resulted from the failure to include the wages from FJ is tax that you would have had to pay had they done it correctly in the first place. As a result, that you won't get the prep firm to pay—that's not a cost you otherwise would not have incurred. You can seek penalties, interest, and other costs that resulted from the company's conduct since you did not get the service that you paid for: competent return preparation.

• 08-05-2010 9:01 AM In reply to

Had I known back when I first did my taxes. That I owed money, I would have paid it. Like I wrote in my post. I had nothing to hide. But, my tax preparer CB told me not to include the extra income. Therefore causing me to owe taxes and my other expenses trying to get this resolved... They finally sent me a check for a little over $400. I do not accept that amount because, I spent more than that in gas alone. I have over $3000 in expenses and compare that to their $400 offer is beyond unfair.

• 08-05-2010 9:05 AM In reply to

Smileybaby:
    I have over $3000 in expenses

What expenses?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 08-05-2010 11:32 AM In reply to

I wrote my expenses in my post.

"I am not requesting payment for mental anguish or pain and suffering. All I want reimbursed is what Cost Me Money. Which would be my lost wages, gas and childcare expenses and the tax preparation fees. Since I purchased the peace of mind from them (just in case if I did owe taxes because of them - which I do)I want to also be reimbursed for taxes owed, as well."

• 08-05-2010 12:01 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,541

Smileybaby:
    (just in case if I did owe taxes because of them - which I do)I want to also be reimbursed for taxes owed, as well."

How much additional tax did you owe?

Smileybaby:
    All I want reimbursed is what Cost Me Money. Which would be my lost wages, gas and childcare expenses and the tax preparation fees

Does the tax prep company state that they will reimburse you for these expenses if you end up owing more taxes?  Look at your agreement and find out exactly what they will do in the event that you owe more taxes.  When you find that part of the agreement, then you will know what you are entitled to, if anything.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any additional reimbursement.  

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community