Changed my mind after signing the lease...

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 08-06-2010 8:20 PM by nilaking10. 6 replies.
  • 08-06-2010 12:00 AM

Changed my mind after signing the lease...

After I found a place through a realtor, my father and I decided to go ahead and sign the lease, paying the deposit without the property being cleaned up thoroughly to move in. The realtor stated it would be ready a week before our move in date which would be in a couple of weeks and stated most people sign leases before the place is ready.  At my current place we saw that our lease would expire one month after move in date and decided we would have to pay for two months of rent because we didnt want to lose the new place. I was uncomfortable with the fact the realtor stated most places are not ready to move in and people tend to sign before hand but still proceeded to sign the lease. We checked out certain measurements for current furniture and saw that it would be impossible to fit in the new apartment. Now we want our money back for the deposit and back out the lease...Please tell me what are our options???

• 08-06-2010 12:09 AM In reply to

Re: Changed my mind after signing the lease...

Unless the lease agreement itself gives you a right to get out of the lease, you are obligated to the lease and the landlord can seek damages from you if you breach that lease.

• 08-06-2010 1:36 AM In reply to

What kind of damages? Such as losing my deposit?

• 08-06-2010 10:42 AM In reply to

The lease agreement you signed should spell out exactly what your penalties would be for breaking the lease. I trust you have a copy of it?

• 08-06-2010 11:32 AM In reply to

Hi nilaking10-

I've included a link to information at the site about Landlord Tenant Law, perhaps some of the information/articles will be of help.

http://real-estate.law...

Best,

Sharon

• 08-06-2010 12:48 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,231

If you signed a 1 year lease then quite possibly you are on hook for the full years rent!  Generally the two parties must try to abate damages--like find a replacement tenant--but the nature of who bears what duties varies by state--and waht your lease says--and in some states the breeching side bears major/all burden to abate --so you'd be smart to sort out what the lease says--and bend over backwards to help in search for new tenant.

• 08-06-2010 8:20 PM In reply to

Thanks everyone for the insightful information. Yes we will be stuck for the year but learned a valuable lesson in renting. DONT RUSH into giving a deposit until I am 100% sure its the right move

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community