Question on Statue of Limitations on Debt owed to DMV

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-07-2011 10:54 AM by nuttinmakescents. 7 replies.
  • 09-08-2010 8:13 PM

Question on Statue of Limitations on Debt owed to DMV

I need some help on an issue which dates back 23 Years!! I lived in New Jersey 23 yrs ago and they charged surcharges on there residents of points on there license. Well I moved out of the state to Virginia and lived here ever since.

I received a letter from DMV stating that I need to take care of the suspension in NJ or be suspended. Well a hell of a surprise today when I called NJ DMV, I will hate to find out what that debt is after 23yrs tomorrow. I was no longer a resident of NJ and was asked to turn over my license when I moved to VA so why should I have to pay surcharges when I am no longer a resident? Isn't there a statue of limitations on a debt like this, especially after 23 yrs???

• 09-08-2010 8:44 PM In reply to

Re: Question on Statue of Limitations on Debt owed to DMV

Yes, for a debt owed; However, suspending your license is not.  DMV's have Interstate cooperation agreements now, this is for situations such as DUI's, and apparently yours. 

I beleive it's best you take care of this, to continue to drive with a license.  As you are aware, driving is a priveledge not a right.

Ok  I'm not a lawyer.  This is only my opinion /suggestion.  Most Replys' are based on information provided by the "original post" (OP).

• 09-09-2010 12:03 AM In reply to

I agree.

VA will suspend your license upon notification by NJ.

You did something to get those surcharges 23 years ago and then left the state.

I suggest you figure out a way to pay what you owe.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 09-09-2010 4:15 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,519

Also there is NO SOL of monies owed to a unit of state government unless there law says there is a SOL--and NJ is a bit crafty in grabbing your money so why would they have a SOL to prevent same. Actually NJ is so crafty as to retroactively impose tight escheat on various accounts so if you snooze a bit you lose them!

If NJ found you, odds are very heavy you need to pay up--all those back charges as well!

• 09-10-2010 4:40 PM In reply to

NQuinteros:
    I lived in New Jersey 23 yrs ago and they charged surcharges on there residents of points on there license.

Since you mention points on the license, I'm going to guess that what you owe is part of a fine for some traffic offense. If it is a fine, typically there is no statute of limitation for it. But in order to know that, you need more specific information about what it is exactly that the state is charging you for.

• 09-10-2010 9:31 PM In reply to

All fines  where paid, they have an additionall surcharge they charge residents for there points on there license. I think they call it an insurance surcharge! The thing was I was not suspended for points or for fines, it was for these surcharges they have. Since I was no longer a resident I figured those charges would come to an end. Now I find out 23 yrs later that is not the case.

• 09-11-2010 2:14 AM In reply to

You are responsible for paying the surcharge even if you move out of NJ. The surcharge is imposed regardless of your current license, registration and/or insurance status. For more information please click on the link below, for clarification, and payment information:

http://nj-dmv-dwi.com/parts/surcharge.html

Ok  I'm not a lawyer.  This is only my opinion /suggestion.  Most Replys' are based on information provided by the "original post" (OP).

• 01-07-2011 10:54 AM In reply to

I am very curious as to what you decided to do in this matter. My husband went to renew his TX DL in Dec.2010 and found NJ has blocked it because of surcharges he did not pay (guess when) 23 years ago.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community