Non custodial parent not using his supervised visitation.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 09-19-2010 11:17 PM by BigDadee63. 3 replies.
  • 09-19-2010 9:53 PM

• Krysta84
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-20-2010
    • IN
    • Posts 3

Non custodial parent not using his supervised visitation.

My ex and I were never married.  My ex decided when our son was 2 that he would like visitation.  Our son is now 5.  Recently, a judge ordered that my ex visit my son at my son's grandmother's home (my ex's mother) to be supervised.  My ex is not to take my son where his grandmother cannot supervise the visitation. 

My husband and I have been ordered to provide all the transportation to and from my son's grandmother's home.  He is ordered to have visitation every other weekend and every Tuesday evening from 5 pm to 8 pm. 

Prior to this judgement, my son's grandmother was trying to sue us for grandparent's visitation.  Since the supervised visit order, she has dropped this suit to my knowledge.  I was not keeping my son from her in the first place.  I have no issues with him having reasonable visitation with his grandmother.

Since the supervised visits have started, my son frequently comes home and tells me his father never came to see him.  He just spends all these weekends and evenings with his grandmother.  My ex's car is hardly there and I know he's not spending the night with his mother just to see our son since he has a wife and another child at his home. 

That being said, do I still have to drop off my son if I know his father is not there?  This is his FATHER'S visitation time afterall, not his grandmother's.  Should I start documenting (possibly with dated photos) when I do and don't see his car and when my son says he didn't show up?  Could this get the amount of visitation he is entitled to reduced?

He obviously isn't the best person for my son to be around since he was ordered supervised visits in the first place so any less time my son spends with him is fine with me and preferred. 

Like I said before, I don't have any issues with my son seeing his grandmother but I feel that every other weekend and an evening each week is excessive for grandparents.  His other grandparents only see him for a couple of hours every two weeks or so.  I find it unfair to the rest of his family and extremely inconvenient for my husband and I.  We have two other small children that are getting their lives disrupted by this as well.

If my ex was actually using his visitation, I would have no problem with it as that is what it is intended for.  But since he refuses to show up every time and stay for the entire visit, I would much rather set up times to drop my son off when I KNOW his father will be there.  And I would rather there be no overnights since his father does not stay over night.

I hope this came across right and I thank you all for any help or advice in this matter.  I do plan on seeking my attorney's advice later this week, but I was just curious as to whether anyone else has been in the same or a similar situation. 

• 09-19-2010 10:55 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,406

Re: Non custodial parent not using his supervised visitation.

You appear to be caught by wording in the order---often if Dad wants to park kid with grandmother thats OK and none of your business...but to make it worse your order apparently says where you are to take child so if you fail to do so you are in default.

It seems to say take child to location X  not take child to Dad at location X??  Major difference!

• 09-19-2010 10:58 PM In reply to

• Krysta84
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-20-2010
    • IN
    • Posts 3

Actually it does say to take my child to visit his FATHER at his grandmother's home.  So if his FATHER is not there, why am I forced to leave him?  It's not grandmother visitation time, it's for his FATHER. 

This is exactly why I am going to push for the supervised visits to happen at our local Children's Bureau so a court appointed person can oversee it.  Then if his father doesn't show up, there is a third person willing to testify to it. 

• 09-19-2010 11:17 PM In reply to

I agree with you, and it sounds like you already have a plan.  Good luck.

Ok  I'm not a lawyer.  This is only my opinion /suggestion.  Most Replys' are based on information provided by the "original post" (OP).

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community