Is there a time frame for charges to be filed?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-12-2011 10:51 PM by LG81. 9 replies.
  • 10-20-2010 11:12 AM

• Cissy74
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2010
    • PA
    • Posts 12

Is there a time frame for charges to be filed?

Is there a time frame that police have to file charges against a minor in PA? My son was questioned back in June or early July and police told him they were going to file charges but we have heard nothing since then.

• 10-20-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

Re: Is there a time frame for charges to be filed?

Difference offenses have different time limits, usally measured in years, not months.

Maybe some details would help.

Like what was he questioned about and what charge were the police talking about?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 10-20-2010 12:08 PM In reply to

• Cissy74
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2010
    • PA
    • Posts 12

He is being accused of stealing wood from an establishment, out past curfew, stealing a stop sign, stealing gas from a borough truck, and throwing something at a Penn Dot truck. He was not involved in all instances and was questioned once, wrote a statement, admitted to things he did and gave names of other people involved, and then a week later was brought back to the police station to rewrite a staement that he had previously written. They contacted school officials to get background information on his behavior to find that he was otherwise a very good student. Never been in trouble for anything before. I want him to realize the consequences of his actions and he has been grounded to the house since the incident and will not be allowed back outside until he goes to court but I worry what if they don't press charges and the punishment he sould get in that case, plus I don't want to see him grounded forever.

• 10-20-2010 1:57 PM In reply to

Three counts of theft, one count of vandalism. That's 4 misdemeanors. 5 if the curfew violation is a misdemeanor.

I'm guessing that the delay is due to the quantity of offenses and the time it takes to round up the other kids and see who turns on each other.

I suggest you consult an attorney who specializes in juvenile law. Your son might have already shot himself in the foot by confessing to whatever he confessed to.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 10-21-2010 2:33 PM In reply to

His status as a minor likely isn't relevant.  The relevant factor is normally whether it is a misdemeanor or felony.  A felony would normally have a statute of limitations of several years - 5 years in my state.  A misdemeanor will have a shorter time usually - 1 year in my state.

Police don't file the charges.  The investigate and turn the info over to the prosecutor's office.

I can understand you wanting him to be punished, but you do NOT want to encourage the government to do this.  Once they get involved everything is out of your hands.  Moreover, a juvenile record CAN haunt a person for life.  It is NOT always correct that juvenile stuff is sealed or otherwise not available publicly.

• 01-12-2011 8:05 PM In reply to

• Cissy74
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2010
    • PA
    • Posts 12

Can a person be charged with crimes he/she was not arrested for?

• 01-12-2011 8:23 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-09-2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,205

yes, if the evidence is there.

• 01-12-2011 8:24 PM In reply to

"Can a person be charged with crimes he/she was not arrested for?"

Yes.  Arrest is not necessary to file a charge.  The police can forward evidence to the DA and if their office feels it is sufficient to sustain the case then they can file charges.  The defendant then is either arrested or arrangements made to turn themselves in for booking or arraignment.  The other option is the DA presents the evidence to a grand jury and an indictment is issued.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 01-12-2011 9:53 PM In reply to

I hate when parents do that. If your child is really a decent child, don't send him into a lions den - juvie detention. Cavalier parents with no understanding of juvie detention think they're being responsible when they help the state by making their kid confess to crimes.

Juvie detention is prison and the kids there aren't nice. Many of them are hardened seasoned criminals. They WILL hurt your child if he doesn't become a thug himself. He may learn some new tricks you do not want him to learn.

In the future, consider getting him a lawyer; even a juvie public defender.

Cross your fingers that they never charge him.

• 01-12-2011 10:51 PM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

Which things did he confess to?   And were his two statements consistent with each other?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community