What are the penalties for Driving on Revoked in TN?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:47 PM by Ford. 5 replies.
  • Mon, Nov 1 2010 5:04 PM

What are the penalties for Driving on Revoked in TN?

I am facing the above charges here in TN. I was not aware of a revocation, nor can I prove that I wasn't. My thoughts are to just plead guilty and hope for a light sentence. What does this charge carry in TN? Would it be smart to ask for expendited sentencing at trial?

• Mon, Nov 1 2010 5:09 PM In reply to

Re: What are the penalties for Driving on Revoked in TN?

KevinButtry:
    I am facing the above charges here in TN. I was not aware of a revocation, nor can I prove that I wasn't. My thoughts are to just plead guilty and hope for a light sentence. What does this charge carry in TN?

It's a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in jail and/or a fine up to $500.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Tue, Nov 2 2010 1:48 PM In reply to

• Ford
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 16 2000
    • Posts 12,797

How did you get revoked?

The state normally needs only to send notice of potential suspension/revocation to your address of record.  Many/most people don't live at that address, but each person has a duty to update their license info.

I'm not in your state.  In my state, if you get your license back in order before your court date (ASAP!!!) the prosecutor may amend this to something that is just about money, or potentially dismiss it.  (I've gotten prosecutors to dismiss when the client gets right on the revocation/suspension and it was for something they wouldn't naturally have notice of, as opposed to a judge telling you that you are suspended.)

KevinButtry:
    Would it be smart to ask for expendited sentencing at trial?

If you are pleading guilty you don't go to trial.  If you don't have a defense, little can be gained by going to trial.  If you aren't reinstated by the time you go to court, you likely don't want to speed the process up.  Buying time might be the best idea.

• Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:07 PM In reply to

The system shows that I lost my liscence due to lack of financial responsibility (no insurance) and was in an (off-road)accident. The reporting officer said that since it wasn't on an actual road it didn't need to be written up. Obviously it was. Perhaps when the other party reported it to insurance?

The same is true for my state, but I simply cannot afford what they are asking me right now. I am out of work. I have insurance on my vehicles, but cannot drive. I feel stuck on this and really want to do the right thing and get it over with.

How would one buy more time?

• Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:23 PM In reply to

KevinButtry:
    I feel stuck on this and really want to do the right thing and get it over with.

The "right thing" is to pay up.

"Wanting to pay" is meaningless.

"Paying" is what counts.

If you can't pay, you stay stuck.

When you go to court without having resolved any of this, it'll just add more money to what you owe and lengthen the time that you go without a license.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:47 PM In reply to

• Ford
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 16 2000
    • Posts 12,797

Who is asking for money? If the state, it's likely just the reinstatement fees.  In some/most states if there is a civil judgment regarding a motor vehicle accident, the plaintiff can get your license suspended until it is paid.  The defendant can usually enter into a payment agreement with the plaintiff to get the suspension lifted.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community