Need to get Supervised Visitation Lifted

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 11-06-2010 9:40 PM by Kivi. 2 replies.
  • 11-06-2010 8:50 PM

Angry [:@] Need to get Supervised Visitation Lifted

After a very messy divorce and then custody battle, my ez husband's lawyer managed to convince a judge that I needed supervised visitation with my son.  This has not only put a major strain on my life but my family's as well as they were named supervisory people.  I am about to get married again and my fiancee is disabled.  I live 30 minutes away from my parents house where I was living before.  My ex husband and I had a conversation a couple of months ago where he stated that he would give me unsupervised visitation.  Now he is saying and I quote " I heard something in my mixed up head that he never said" He also said that hew wouldn't make my fiancee a supervisory person because he is disabled.  He expects me to stay at my parents house every second and fourth weekend that I have my son.  This is after it was told to my son that he would be staying with me at my new house for those weekends.  I need to know exactly what I need to do to get the supervisory visitation taken away. I need to know how to go about this.  My ex sees me as an unstable and unsuitable mother and I need to know how to go about showing a judge that this isn't the case.

• 11-06-2010 8:51 PM In reply to

Re: Need to get Supervised Visitation Lifted

After a very messy divorce and then custody battle, my ez husband's lawyer managed to convince a judge that I needed supervised visitation with my son.  This has not only put a major strain on my life but my family's as well as they were named supervisory people.  I am about to get married again and my fiancee is disabled.  I live 30 minutes away from my parents house where I was living before.  My ex husband and I had a conversation a couple of months ago where he stated that he would give me unsupervised visitation.  Now he is saying and I quote " I heard something in my mixed up head that he never said" He also said that hew wouldn't make my fiancee a supervisory person because he is disabled.  He expects me to stay at my parents house every second and fourth weekend that I have my son.  This is after it was told to my son that he would be staying with me at my new house for those weekends.  I need to know exactly what I need to do to get the supervisory visitation taken away. I need to know how to go about this.  My ex sees me as an unstable and unsuitable mother and I need to know how to go about showing a judge that this isn't the case.

• 11-06-2010 9:40 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,149

Re: Need to get Supervised Visitation Lifted

Quite often supervised visitation only lasts for a few months. Seldom does it last for over a year unless there are real issues of drug or child abuse. I don't know how long yours has gone on, but if it's been awhile, most judges would be open to changing it absent any reports of problems while such visitations were occurring.

Have your attorney file the necessary papers with the court to have the visitation changed to unsupervised and ask for a visitation schedule that is customary in your county.

I do not believe that a judge will believe that someone who is classified as disabled is somehow unable to handle child care responsibilities on an occasional basis, such as every other weekend, especially when another adult is likely to be present.  Many people who are collecting Social Security Disability Income, for example, do have children. They manage to take care of their kids, usually on a full-time basis. Many of them are single parents as well. Of course, the nature of the disability could have a bearing on this issue. But, going into court, a judge is not going to automatically think that someone who is disabled is somehow a danger to the children or otherwise not capable of normal child care responsibilities.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community