How to protect my self?

Latest post Thu, Nov 11 2010 2:44 PM by Drew. 5 replies.
  • Wed, Nov 10 2010 2:52 PM

• mikeil
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 10 2010
    • IL
    • Posts 36

How to protect my self?

Hi, I am going to file divorce. But, my spouse is saying that she will give me hard time by calling the police and trying to get me in trouble. For example: She will call police and say, I pushed her and etc. when in reality I didn't.

What can I do? Should I goto local police and tell them that I am worried that she might do this?

• Wed, Nov 10 2010 3:17 PM In reply to

Re: How to protect my self?

mikeil:
    Should I goto local police and tell them that I am worried that she might do this?

Sure. But it won't do you any good.

Sorry, but it's a risk everybody takes when divorce starts.

Since it's your parents' house that you are now rented (per your other post) I suggest that perhaps you move a friend or relative into your house who can witness what happens between you and your wife whenver you are in the house together. Or hire somebody to bug the house with hidden video cameras that record every room 24/7.

Do you and she have children?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Thu, Nov 11 2010 1:50 PM In reply to

• Ford
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 16 2000
    • Posts 12,797

You stay the heck away from her.  You can't stop her from making stuff up, but if you aren't around her you at least set yourself up to have an alibi.  If she says you attacked her at 11:40pm on Friday but you were hanging out with 27 of your buddies, then you have a potential defense.

I'd be trying to record her making these statements.  Many/most cell phones can record conversations also.  Even in a two-party consent state for recording a conversation there is normally an exception for recording criminal activity, and she is evidencing an intent to commit crimes by making false reports to law enforcement.

• Thu, Nov 11 2010 2:06 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,653

In some circles it seem to be that women can get protection orders all too easily by expanded/false stories of abuse so exercise caution not to get into circumstances where she can easily make up stories.

I'm not up on recording laws and I'll take above poster at face vaue that to record intention to commit a crime is an excpetion to a requirement for permission/notice  --and were it me I'd make the recordings and zip my lips--just in case.

• Thu, Nov 11 2010 2:29 PM In reply to

I would not stay living in the same house with her.

Also, it would probably be a good idea to be able to always be able to prove where you were and what you were doing.

At one point, I showed used plane tickets and receipts to prove I was 1000 miles away when my ex wife was claiming I was somehow bothering her by driving by her house, etc.  I was actually called on my cell phone, while 1000 miles away, by the police, demanding I open my apartment door.  Kind of difficult to do that from numerous states away.

• Thu, Nov 11 2010 2:44 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,653

Well I think you want to be careful about moving out (discuss options with counsel carefully) unless your wife is signed on the lease as a tenat and has a duty to pay rents---if youmove out your wife may be able is a sense to stiff the LL's (your parents) for rent  and live there free to the duration of a long fight.

How long ago was your interest in the home deeded back to your parents? Was it well before any active discussin of a divorce was underway.

It might be smart for the LL to serve eviction notices and/or nonrenewal  on all tenant in this home if there is a solid basis to do so  and have parents start with a clean safer slate --but do NOT conspire with LL to do so.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community