to Ray Smith

Latest post Fri, Mar 24 2017 5:52 AM by Ray Smith. 30 replies.
  • Wed, Dec 15 2010 9:07 PM

to Ray Smith

I deleted your posts because they violated the Rules of this site, by which you agreed to abide upon registration.  Identifying information is not to be posted here.  Please review the Rules before you post again.

http://community.lawyers.com/forums/Rules.aspx

Thank you.

• Mon, Jan 10 2011 12:24 PM In reply to

• harrylime
      Consumer
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 31 2008
    • TX
    • Posts 549

Re: to Ray Smith

Ray Smith:
    Are you aware of the first amendment to the Constitution?

Are you?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Mon, Jan 10 2011 12:26 PM In reply to

"Are you aware of the first amendment to the Constitution?"

The First Amendment prohibits the government from restricting citizens speech.  It does not mean that private owners of a forum cannot.  Websites have every legal right to restrict what people post on their sites.

In fact the first the amendment is:  Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. 

If you want to post on these forums then the rules apply to you as they do all us who choose to volunteer here.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Mon, Jan 10 2011 12:34 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

Freedom of speech

See, here's the thing - you have NO idea what you are talking about.

Freedom of speech protects the individual from GOVERNMENT limitation of your speech. It has NOTHING to do with a private entity and it's ability to restrict content on it's website.

• Mon, Jan 10 2011 6:12 PM In reply to

Ray Smith:
    The truth hurts when attorneys go along with civil rights violations and don't want to do anything about it because of the political repercussions or because of not being able to go up the ladder because of fear of being black listed in the judicial realm.

No attorney I know is afraid to go after civil rights violations. Contrary to your assertion, doing that is a good way for a lawyer to succeed in his/her career—it does not get attorneys "black listed in the judicial realm."

• Mon, Jan 10 2011 6:22 PM In reply to

Ray Smith:
    As far as I'm concerned, you can delete all my posts then and you can remove me from being a member but I will posts this exerience about this web site on other websites, it's called freedom of speech.  Are you aware of the first amendment to the Constitution?

That veiled threat won't work here to get you what you want. The owners of this site have the absolute right to decide what appears on THEIR site. You misunderstand the Constitution, which leads me to wonder if you have ever actually READ what it says. The first amendment says CONGRESS shall make no law abriding freedom of speech. Thus, as written, it was initially only a limitation on the federal government—the federal government could not restrain speech. By virtue of court interpretations of the 14th Amendment, that is now a limitation on state and local governments as well.

But the first amendment does not, and never has, limited private persons from restraining speech in the places they control. For example, if you come to my home and say something I don't like, I have the right to kick you out of my home. If you go to a private place of business and say something the business owners don't like, they have the right to kick you out of the store. Similarly, no private newspaper or web site is compelled to print or post your comments. It is up to the newspaper or web site owner to determine what he or she will permit to appear on its pages. That's because the first amendment offers you no protection in those circumstances.

I suggest that before you continue complaining about civil rights violations and attacking lawyers for not defending civil rights, you first actually learn what rights you actually have. You seem to not really know what civil rights really exist, and that lack of knowledge will lead you down the wrong path.

• Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:25 PM In reply to

Hi Ray-

To be more specific your post was deleted because the site rules prohibit the use of company or individual names.

We have no problem with you posting a concise version of your situation with no identifying information.

Thanks for your cooperation going forward.

Sharon

• Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:31 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

Re: Freedom of speech

Well, I didn't remove anything.

And since I provide information here for FREE I don;t exactly qualify as money-grubbing, do I? I have never been a public defender, so - wrong again.

I have nothing to be ashamed about. I just feel sorry for you.

• Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:33 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

all you have to do is obey the rules.

Which clearly state you should not name other parties in your post. THAT is why your post was removed. But you are far too busy turning this into a vast conspiracy to bother reposting properly. So why should anyone take you seriously??

• Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:45 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

Re: Hi Ray-

So start your own website. It's a free country, even for pwople who are unreasonable and nasty.

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community