What to do when a teacher grabs a student

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-20-2010 12:53 AM by adjuster jack. 6 replies.
  • 12-19-2010 12:36 AM

• hicksspa
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-19-2010
    • HI
    • Posts 2

What to do when a teacher grabs a student

I found out Thursday that my child's first grade teacher had grabbed a first grade student by the back of the neck in frustration during class on Wednesday.  An adult in the room witnessed the teacher grabbing the student.  The student reported the incident to an Administrator on Thursday.  The child told the administrator that the child was afraid of the teacher.  The administrator sent the student back to the class with an adult "in protective custody" for the remainder of the day.  The teacher was in class on Friday.  To my knowledge the school never told the parents.  What is the school legally obligated to do?

• 12-19-2010 10:04 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,509

Re: What to do when a teacher grabs a student

You were not there and lack first hand knowledge....for all you know the kid was a major terror  and deserved to be booted from school--or the kid may simply not have been ready for school and needed to stay home a year more.  

Yes, in a small % of cases a teacher might over react--but I'll  give odds its close to 99 to 1.

There is a much bigger problem that teachers are afraid to act-and as a result one kids pounds another or disrupts 14 other kids from learning.

I think you need to stay out of this one.............

• 12-19-2010 10:22 AM In reply to

Hawaii statute 302A-1141 allows teachers to use reasonable force to restrain a pupil in attendance at school from hurting oneself or any other person or property,

http://law.justia.com/hawaii/codes/2009/volume-05/title-18/chapter-302a/hrs-0302a-1141-htm/

Without knowing why the child was restrained, there's no way of answering your question.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 12-20-2010 12:14 AM In reply to

• hicksspa
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-19-2010
    • HI
    • Posts 2

My question is still, if the school knows the teacher acted inappropriately, what is the school's responsibility?

• 12-20-2010 12:24 AM In reply to

To tell the teacher to cut it out.

• 12-20-2010 12:53 AM In reply to

hicksspa:

My question is still, if the school knows the teacher acted inappropriately, what is the school's responsibility?

How do you know what the school "knows"?

What if the school investigated and found that the teacher did act appropriately?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community