Visitation for an infant long distance

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-01-2011 9:41 PM by LynnM. 10 replies.
  • 12-31-2010 4:41 PM

• NifferJen
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-31-2010
    • TX
    • Posts 3

Visitation for an infant long distance

My son is going to be 4 months old in a couple of weeks. I am the primary caregiver, the father has had nothing to do with him(my choice) because he and I broke up a couple of weeks before I found out I was pregnant due to his drinking and attitude towards me. He was mentally and verbally abusive the whole time I was pregnant and 2 days after we found out it was a boy, he denied his son, again. I know it was probably childish but I decided to ignore him the rest of my pregnancy and told him to take me to court after he was born if he wanted anything to do with him. I didn't put him on the BC or any of that. 6 days after my son was born we had to move in with my parents due to my living situation(grandmother had an episode and kicked me out) so now we're living 5 hours away from the bio-father. When I applied for assitance they decided to go after him for CS, going through the CSRP to avoid court, establish paternity and negotiate visitaion and all that. So my quesion is how does visitation work with us being so far away and my son being so young?

• 12-31-2010 5:02 PM In reply to

Re: Visitation for an infant long distance

>So my quesion is how does visitation work with us being so far away and my son being so young?

That's what will need to be figured out.

He will, more than likely, get visitation, if it's his child.  Very worst case, would be supervised visitation, I would imagine.

You can say you don't like him, and he drinks too much, and all of that, but that seems to be the standard chant of all those who had a child with someone, and later decide they don't like them any longer.  The judge has more than likely heard it all before.

Do you have a lawyer?

• 12-31-2010 5:48 PM In reply to

Well it obviously is probably going to have to be supervised at first, possibly for the first year but it will not be supervised forever. I suggest both of you grow up a bit and realize you have to co-parent this child. A few hours a week is normal. You can have it be at your house as long as your parents do not interfere or you can arrange a neutral 3rd party. I suggest you 2 at least communicate and do your best to be civil.

• 12-31-2010 8:43 PM In reply to

That was childish.

Given that you moved away from the father it is possible that you will bear the burden of the expense of visitation. An infant is not likely going to have to travel any significant distance but eventually he will have the right to have the child travel to his location for visitation.

• 12-31-2010 10:48 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,500

How long you resided at new location may be critical as to jurisdiction--how long has it been and what  state?

• 01-01-2011 7:24 PM In reply to

• NifferJen
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-31-2010
    • TX
    • Posts 3

I don't have a lawyer yet, all of my money goes for diapers, clothes(when he grows out of them) and anything else he needs. I'm not working right now because I'm going back to school full time in a couple of weeks, so the only money I'm going to have is my assistance from the state if I don't lose it now and my pell refund which has to go for rent to my parents and gas and all of that.

• 01-01-2011 7:26 PM In reply to

• NifferJen
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-31-2010
    • TX
    • Posts 3

This doesn't really answer my question. A few hours a week would work if we weren't 5 hours apart.

• 01-01-2011 7:37 PM In reply to

>?My son is going to be 4 months old in a couple of weeks. I am the primary caregiver, the father has had >nothing to do with him(my choice) because he and I broke up a couple of weeks before I found out I was >pregnant due to his drinking and attitude towards me. He was mentally and verbally abusive the whole time I >was pregnant and 2 days after we found out it was a boy, he denied his son, again. I know it was probably >childish but I decided to ignore him the rest of my pregnancy and told him to take me to court after he was >born if he wanted anything to do with him. I didn't put him on the BC or any of that. 6 days after my son was >born we had to move in with my parents due to my living situation(grandmother had an episode and kicked me out) so now we're living 5 hours away from the bio-father. When I applied for assitance they decided to go after >him for CS, going through the CSRP to avoid court, establish paternity and negotiate visitaion and all that. So >my quesion is how does visitation work with us being so far away and my son being so young?

You might possibly be responsible for the transportation of the visitation.  You ARE the one who moved right?

Noone here has a crystal ball, and can tell you what the Judge will say. 

You want MY opinion?

The father of the child, has every bit of rights to see his child as you do!  and You ran off!

If I were him, I would take you to court, and I'd make sure I were able to visit with my child.

You don't want the man that helped you create this child, but you want the rest of us tax payers to support your child?

He will more than likely see his child, if it is his.

That is how it generally goes.

• 01-01-2011 7:51 PM In reply to

>I'm going back to school full time in a couple of weeks,

You have a baby correct?

But instead of finding a job, you are going to school?

and you moved away

and you want father of child to

to what?

just go away?

• 01-01-2011 9:40 PM In reply to

It souonds like you cannot afford to go to school right now. Your first obligation is to support your child - not expect the government to do so.

• 01-01-2011 9:41 PM In reply to

And you are the reason for the distance. Therefore expect to be liable for any expenses caused by your move.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community