The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Sentence Modification and Indiana

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Jan 6 2011 12:44 PM by LynnM. 3 replies.
  • Wed, Jan 5 2011 11:50 PM

Sentence Modification and Indiana

How does one go about doing a sentence modification in Indiana?  My cousin is serving 1 year + some probation time in jail for a Class B drug conviction.  In jail there are others charged with a couple of Class B drug convictions and only are looking at probation, no jail time. 

• Wed, Jan 5 2011 11:57 PM In reply to

Re: Sentence Modification and Indiana

Legallylost:
    How does one go about doing a sentence modification in Indiana?  My cousin is serving 1 year + some probation time in jail for a Class B drug conviction.

I'm guessing it's probably too late at this point. The time to negotiate a sentence is during arraignment and trial.

Legallylost:
    In jail there are others charged with a couple of Class B drug convictions and only are looking at probation, no jail time. 

There's no way of telling what they did to get a lighter sentence. They may have had better lawyers. They may have ratted out others in exchange for a lighter sentence. It's anybody's guess.

All I can suggest is that your cousin consult a criminal attorney and see if he has any options.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Thu, Jan 6 2011 11:40 AM In reply to

• Ford
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 16 2000
    • Posts 12,824

No attorneys from that state are on the boards.  Unless the state has a mandatory sentencince scheme, you really can't compare cases.  Each defendant, each case, each judge and each prosecutor are different.

If your cousin is serving a sentence AND probation time, that indicates he has two different cases.  If he was on probation for a drug charge and rolled another drug charge, that can really upset his judge.

If a sentence has been imposed, a defendant typically has two remedies: 1) a motion to the sentencing judge asking him to be nice; or 2) an appeal to a higher court arguing that the sentence was excessive (which normally won't go anywhere).

• Thu, Jan 6 2011 12:44 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

Criminal sentences are not cookie cutters. The mere fact that someone else got a lighter sentence has nothing to dowith his sentence.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community