dogs attacked by dog and killed my cat

Latest post 04-13-2011 11:55 PM by adjuster jack. 34 replies.
  • 01-28-2011 2:19 PM

• mike liz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-28-2011
    • VA
    • Posts 20

dogs attacked by dog and killed my cat

Hi, my neighbors 5 dogs killed our cat in front of my 11 year old on our porch in Oct. 2010. Two weeks later two of the same Bull dogs attacked my dog on her runner. The two dogs were diemed Dangerous by Virginia Court.  The neighbor had three court ordered Dangerous dogs in other state last month after 1 year of appeals. The dogs that were Virginia court ordered Confined for ten day came on our property twice. One day his  7 dogs chased us into our home. He now owns 30 bulls dogs, and said all dogs are meant to be free. 

There is not a leash law in my small town. In VA court pets are only worth replacement cost, and you can't sue for pain and suffering in Virginia over dogs attacking pets. Her also tresspassed on our property, with his dangerous unconfined dogs.

Can I sue for negligence, for not keeping his 11 bulldogs in his kennel. Small claims is for $15,000 max. Do I have any chance in small claims court?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

• 01-28-2011 2:26 PM In reply to

Re: dogs attacked by dog and killed my cat

Say you sue for negligence. The value of the dog is still limited by law. It accomplishes nothing.

• 01-28-2011 2:35 PM In reply to

Unfortunately, you can't sue for more than the pet's worth, unless there are vet bills.

Any Humane socity there?  I'd also be worried about myself, given that they chased humans into the house also.

I'm afraid all you can do is to go thru any legal means possible to rectify the situation; have you called the DA's office?  You might want to be persistent...and keep any new pets inside!  Safer for them anyway.

• 01-28-2011 3:25 PM In reply to

You and your family have been assailed by vicious dogs for a year and haven't figured out what to do?

.....................\|/

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 01-28-2011 4:01 PM In reply to

I cannot believe that aninal control has not picked up these dogs if they are vicious. Also if I were you, I would start shooting the dogs if they come on your property. The owner just doesnt get it.

• 01-28-2011 4:03 PM In reply to

OliviasMom:
    Also if I were you, I would start shooting the dogs if they come on your property.

Ditto.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 01-28-2011 4:15 PM In reply to

"I would start shooting the dogs if they come on your property."

I rarely advocate this but I have to agree.  You should seriously consider discussing the option with legal counsel to ensure that using the weapon doesn't get you charged for violating a local or criminal law.  I would also check the advisability of sending this moronic neighbor a certified letter indicating that the dogs have become a nuisance and the next time they are on your property,

"said all dogs are meant to be free."

Idiots like this are the ones that cause problems for the animals.  Sadly the dogs will be the ones to pay with their lives.  

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 01-28-2011 4:15 PM In reply to

Posted twice.  removed for clarity.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 01-28-2011 5:17 PM In reply to

• mike liz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-28-2011
    • VA
    • Posts 20

Re: dogs killed my cat and attacked my dog

I got $ for vet bills and replacing of our cat. I was just wounding if I could also sue him for something like neglict because the owner would not keep the dogs on his property. He has just moved 20 miles away! The DA , police department, animal control all said to shot the dogs, next time. The dogs were to fast and quiet to shoot them. Each attacked lasted 10 seconds or less and ran when we opened the door.

There must to be a way to punish him so he will get rid of all the dogs. The dogs laws are very weak here. 

Thanks

• 01-28-2011 5:20 PM In reply to

LynnM:
    Say you sue for negligence. The value of the dog is still limited by law. It accomplishes nothing.

Negligence may not be the right grounds. How about assault? If I know, or have reason to know that my dangerous dogs are likely to try to bite my neighbors, am I liable for assault; what if I release them when I see you approach?

How would it be any different than unleashing any other dangerous instrumentality, bow and arrow, gun etc...

• 01-28-2011 5:22 PM In reply to

• mike liz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-28-2011
    • VA
    • Posts 20

Re: dogs attacked my dog and killed my cat

Owner just moved across town. The two dangerous dogs are in onother state, owner said. The other three dogs that killed our cat we just confined for ten days, at his home. Animal Control is trying to find the two Dangerous dogs.

• 01-28-2011 5:34 PM In reply to

Re: dogs attacked my dog and killed my cat

mike liz:
    Owner just moved across town.

Then the threat is gone.

You can certainly sue for your vet bills and cost for another cat.

But that's it.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 01-28-2011 8:41 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,520

OliviasMom:
    I cannot believe that aninal control has not picked up these dogs if they are vicious.

I can.  Our local "animal control" is nothing more than a titled ego-boost for the former classification "dog catcher."  Kind of like "domestic engineer" is for "housewife."  It wastes its time running after owners bitten by their elderly, indoor cats, and billing them $100 for house-impoundment. Easy money.

OP -- Read your county's articles, sections and resolutions regarding "animal control."  They differ from county to county.  In my county, an owner may have three dogs (if not a breeder).  One county over, there is no limit. One owner has 25 pits; another has 30.

Unless your cat was a certified, purebred show animal, it will be considered merchandise.

You might consider expressing concern to your county Board of Supervisors, if, in fact, there is no limit, or leash law in effect.  Check also with local advocacies that work with the DA involving animal abuse cases.  Only I'd think the best approach is to use what happened to your cat as an example of what harboring a bunch of animals can potentially do to a human.  Be the one to have told them so.

I'm sorry about the loss of your cat.

• 01-28-2011 9:36 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,520

More [=+=] Here's a summary:

• 01-28-2011 11:34 PM In reply to

• mike liz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-28-2011
    • VA
    • Posts 20

Cica thanks for your help!

I have already checked, there's no limit on amount of dogs you can have in my county. Also there's no leash law out of town limits. Our cat was just a find at a local pound. We are the first to come across a person with Dangerous dogs in town.

I spoke to the top person on the County Board about animal control not picking up the court ordered Confined dogs, that were on our property. They said " let animal control do there job. She won't call me back if I call again" I said again they are not picking up the court ordered Confined dogs in my yard. This was Animal Controls supervisor.

I also spoke to the Health Department about the 10 day Confined dogs, in our yard. I was told to "STOP SPREADING RUMMERS about the dogs being dangeous. They only attack animals. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I can't do anything else for you! Just shot the dogs!"

I called Animal Control the second time about the Confined dogs in our yard. They said " I can't tell you anything about this on going case, I have heard enought Shi* about this case. I'm doing everything I can!" Later I spoke to the jr. animal cotrol officer he said his supervisor didn't pick up the unconfined dogs because there was no room at the pound.

The mayor said there has been many complaints about the Animal Control supervisor. I can talk to the County Board but it won't help. 

The DA ?? ( Virginia Commonwealth Attorney) that did our Dangerous Dogs court case for us and Animal Control, said they can't help us.

I was told by Animal Control and the Health Department not to tell anyone what happened. That's maybe why they are very upset with me when I called them. I spoke to all my neighbors about what happened to our pets and they raised heck with the County Office until finally the owner left town.

No Dog Bite Lawyers have called us back yet, after all my emails to them last month.

Thanks for all your help.

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community