Question about SSDI and Second Injury fund

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 02-02-2011 9:40 PM by PB88. 2 replies.
  • 02-01-2011 12:38 PM

• PB88
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-01-2011
    • MO
    • Posts 2

Question about SSDI and Second Injury fund

Hello all I'm PB88 and I have a question if any of you would be so kind in helping me.

I was injured at work several times until I couldn't work any longer and I was able to get SSDI.

I also won my second injury case recently in MO and they have not decided to appeal and it has been over 20 days as is required in my state.  I won an amount of money and an amount per week for the rest of my life.  I have not received any money yet but should within the next 30 days. This all sounds good but I would prefer to be able to work and not a crippled.

Since I was awarded the second injury case how will this affect my SSDI?  I am receiving $638 a month for SSDI and my medicare injurance.

Will I be able to receive the $638 from SSDI and approx. $700 a week from the second injury fund?

I would be very appreciative if someone could help me figure this out and explain it to me.

Thaniks in advance!

Ps:  I was awarded SSDI in Jan. 2007 and second injury fund about a month ago, if that matters.  Also my husband helped me fight for both cases and he doesn't know the answers to my questions.

• 02-02-2011 7:06 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,170

Re: Question about SSDI and Second Injury fund

It's difficult to answer this question without a lot more info.

Essentially, your combined payments from SSDI and workers' comp are not supposed to exceed 80% of your average predisability earnings. If they do, SSDI benefits will be reduced so that they do not. Since we have no idea as to what your average pre-disability earnings were, we have no way of knowing whether the combined benefits will or will nto exceed this 80% figure.

All that we can suggest is that you report the award, including any back pay to SSA and see what happens.

• 02-02-2011 9:40 PM In reply to

• PB88
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-01-2011
    • MO
    • Posts 2

Re: Question about SSDI and Second Injury fund

Thanks Kivi....I reread my post and I think I should have proof read it and done a spell check.

Dang I thought (wishing) I would be able to make the $638 from SSDI and the full amount from the second injury fund.  I didn't think about if the second injury fund would pay me what I won and SSDI would be reduced.

I am near 60 years old, so what happens when I am able to regular Social Security?  Will I no longer Be on SSDI but just SS like everyone else and get the full amount from both Social Security and the second injury fund?..or will there be a maximum I can draw?  I am confused about how this works.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community