I know my attorney lied to me.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 02-08-2011 10:11 AM by jlyent. 8 replies.
  • 02-07-2011 5:11 PM

• jlyent
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • NY
    • Posts 5

I know my attorney lied to me.

I have a case that has been going on for almost six years now. In september 2010 we had a court date set to pick a jury. My attorney called after the he returned from court and said the court adjourned the case until Feb. 7, 2011 because there were massive lay-offs and they were so back logged that they had to adjourn our case for five months. I thought this was alittle strange so I did some digging in the court system and spoke to the court reporter who was working that day. He mailed me the transcript from our specific case and I found out that the defense asked for a five month adjournment and my lawyer quickly agreed. Now, I know my lawyer lied to me, I have proof. Is this a case of malpractice? Today, my lawyer came back from court and said that the court adjourned the case again. I called the court reporter that I know and he said that the defense asked for an adjournment again, my attorney asked to pick a jury and the defense said they wanted an adjournement. Then my attorney asked for a conference and now the case has been adjourned to March. My attorney told me the court adjourned the case again since there weren't enough judges available today to work the case. Lie number two! What's my rights here?

• 02-07-2011 5:14 PM In reply to

Re: I know my attorney lied to me.

Why don;t you simply ask your attorney why he is agreeing to the defense's requests? And specifically instruct him that you do not want to allow any more delays.

• 02-07-2011 5:18 PM In reply to

Why have you not been attending the court sessions?

• 02-07-2011 5:19 PM In reply to

First thing I'd do is call your attorney and speak to him personally and tell him you know that he's lied to you about the reasons for the adjournments and ask for a straight answer as to what is going on. If the answers are not satisfactory, then I suggest you see about finding a new attorney and filing a complaint with the state office that disciplines lawyers for misconduct. You don't want to move forward on a case with a lawyer representing you that you do not trust.

Also, why are you not present at the jury selection? In most cases, the client should be there for the trial, and that includes picking the jury.

• 02-07-2011 7:26 PM In reply to

• jlyent
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • NY
    • Posts 5

The jury selection hasn't happened yet. I guarantee that I will be there when the jury is selected.My attorney is going out of town for two weeks. Which coincides with the case being adjourned for another month. Isn't that convenient. I am too far along with this guy to fire him now. I want to get this case done with and then I am going to talk to the judge to see if I can get his fees reduced. I think he is going along with the defense to run up his fees.

• 02-07-2011 7:27 PM In reply to

• jlyent
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • NY
    • Posts 5

The attorney has said that my presence isn't required.

• 02-07-2011 7:27 PM In reply to

• jlyent
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • NY
    • Posts 5

I have told him several times that I want this case to move along. It is going on 6 years. i am fed up already.

• 02-07-2011 7:45 PM In reply to

Then fire him and hire someone else.

• 02-08-2011 10:11 AM In reply to

• jlyent
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • NY
    • Posts 5

I would like to but at this point I am too far along with him. I will wait until the trial is over and then discuss his infidelity. My question is, do I have a valid argument that he is over billing me for fees? Every time this thing gets adjourned he charges another fee for his time, and his time ain't cheap.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community