Alan J Shapiro, Ohio

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-10-2011 12:21 PM by Gordon Reiselt. 8 replies.
  • 03-08-2011 3:55 PM

• henryhawk
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-07-2011
    • IL
    • Posts 4

Alan J Shapiro, Ohio

Where can I look to find client feedback for mr Shapiro?  I usually type in my requested info into google and I get something.  When I type in client feedback Alan J Shapiro, I get nothing of any value.  Certainly, there is a good deal of information out there about him, he has been in business for years.  I'm just curious.  (And if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm sorry)

• 03-08-2011 4:19 PM In reply to

Re: Alan J Shapiro, Ohio

There's no guarantee of any information from a search done that way.

• 03-08-2011 4:37 PM In reply to

henryhawk:
    When I type in client feedback Alan J Shapiro, I get nothing of any value.  Certainly, there is a good deal of information out there about him, he has been in business for years. 

Depends on what you mean by "value".

If all you are finding is biographical and experience information (like I did) when you just google his name, that's not going to tell you how he will handle your case when the going gets down and dirty.

For that I suggest you add words like "review" or "complaint" to the search and see what you come up with.

Beyond that, what exactly are you trying to find out?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 03-09-2011 1:18 PM In reply to

• FrustFed
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-22-2010
    • NJ
    • Posts 18

If you need an attorny for workers comp.  the law office of steven brown in california are the best.  I fired my first two attorneys.

• 03-09-2011 1:44 PM In reply to

• henryhawk
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-07-2011
    • IL
    • Posts 4

Thanks to all that have responded so far. I've tried "reviews", "complaints", other key words and there is no relevant information available. I am looking for previous clients that have had satisfactory/unsatisfactory results. Not that I would use that information solely on hiring an attorney, but the lack of information available for an attorney that has practiced that many years is peculiar.  It's not like there are a lot of federal work comp lawyers to start with.  One would think the attorneys that do practice in that area would have a pluthera of information available due to the number of limited attorneys that practice that area versus the number of federal employees.

• 03-09-2011 2:14 PM In reply to

henryhawk:
    but the lack of information available for an attorney that has practiced that many years is peculiar.  It's not like there are a lot of federal work comp lawyers to start with.  One would think the attorneys that do practice in that area would have a pluthera of information available due to the number of limited attorneys that practice that area versus the number of federal employees.

Well, not really.  If you are looking for "reviews" of attorneys from clients, there are few online.  Clients don't usually post these things, esp as "ratings" are fairly new on the internet.

However, you may have heard the saying that no news is good news; generally, only unhappy clients would take the time to complain on a public forum. 

• 03-16-2011 8:22 PM In reply to

• Snowed
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2010
    • NY
    • Posts 75

You can also see a lawyers win/loss history with ecab decisions.  Just do a search for "ECAB decisions"  and then follow link t seach ECAB decisions by typing in the name of the lawyer.

• 07-09-2011 11:22 AM In reply to

You get what you pay for.  Attorney Shapiro does not charge a fee.  Be sure of your needs and goals before signing on.   He handled my Federal Comp case for almost two years.  He was extremely difficult to reach and sent scanty email responses saying either "later" or "will review the file and get back to you", none of which ever answered the actual questions.  One or more weeks would go by before I would get another inadquate response that never addressed the initial question.  I would later get emails telling me to do something that was already completed weeks prior,  or I would get redundant  emails with "new" information that I had previuosly updated HIM on.   Phone calls were never scheduled - they would come at bizarre times of the day between  7 AM and 9 PM, any day of the week - Sun through Sat -  with unintelligible answering machine messages if I was unable to reach the phone in time.  I would receive no email notificiation that I should expect a call or that we were to have an important phone conversation.  In most cases, the phone calls were untimely, on the fly,  rushed, disjointed, on speaker phone causing terrible echos with all kinds of distraction in the background, and filled with unrelated information about his private life including his Florida Condo and his plumbing problems at home.  I am not kidding.  The information generally discussed about my case was as redundant as the email responses which never answered actual questions I posed.  He kept putting off the medical aspect of my case and needs. 

Upon initial accpetance of the case, he agreed to handle all aspects of it.  Months later when time was running out on an Appeal, he refused to handle a difficult portion of the case forcing me to file my own Appeal.  Fortunately, I was actually successful.  HOWEVER, after the Appeal Board ordered OWCP to make a correction and new Decision was made on the issue, Shapiro Appealed the new decision that had corrected the OWCP error in my favor.  Again, this was on a portion of the case he had previously refused to tackle.  His action then created a REPEAL of my successful correction and put the entire issue right back to the beginning two years prior.  I had to start all over again to try to correct the issue - once again on my own. This remains in New Appeal all over again.   He then sent me a letter of resignation from his position as my Counsel stating that the distance between us was too far for proper communications.  However, his advertisements insist that he will help anyone NATIONWIDE and had supported my case over the 1000 mile distance for all that time until he made a mess and I questioned his reasoning.  After making his error on the Appeal and quitting, not following up with the medical aspect of the case (the most important part), not answering my questions nor keeping me advised of communications or activities on a timely basis, he  left me with several scheduled phone hearings and a stressful mess to deal with on my own.   

Attorney Shapiro will not charge you unless he wins a financial settlement from OWCP.  At that point, he takes his cut.  My case involved both medical and financial complications.  I think it was too much for him and he was looking for a fast, easy settlement.  This is his focus and goal.  If you need edical attention, have case complications or need someone you can actually talk to for proper guidance,  I advise caution.  If you just want a financial Schedule Award payout, he'll work towards that end so he gets paid and you get some money.

My experience was significantly less than satisfactory.  This report simply states the actual facts of what occurred which shows the lack of detail oriented focus that is necessary to handle a case involving more than a simple pay out award.  Good luck.

• 07-10-2011 12:21 PM In reply to

Let me be clear about this. I do not know how Mr. Shapiro charges for his services. However, if with your case it was your understanding that you would only be cahrged a lawyer fee based upon "a financial settlement",either you or Mr. Shapiro must be mistaken. First of all, there are no "settlements" so to speak with OWCP. One either is eligible for benefits, or not.

Secondly, a fee paid to a lawyer conditioned upon winning a claim,  and based upon some percentage of that winning, is called a contingent fee. In order words, the lawyer and client have an agreement that the lawyer's fee will be based upon a percentage of the winnings.

Contingent fees in OWCP claims are not allowed. This is because under statute, every lawyer's fee, before it is paid, must be approved by OWCP. OWCP not not pay the fee, they merely approve the fee. When a claimant agrees with the fee and this fact is communicated to OWCP, OWCP simply deems the fee as approved.

Lawyers may collect money from clients, so long has that money is kept in an escrow account. An escrow account is one in which your money is kept until there is OWCP approval to relaese it to the lawyer. Money in an escrow account does not belong to the lawyer until OWCP approves the fee.

OWCP will not approve a lawyer's fee based upon a contingent fee. That is true whether the claim is brought under the FECA or the Longshore Act.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community