Evicting a "Co-Head'

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Mar 28 2011 2:52 PM by LynnM. 12 replies.
  • Sun, Mar 27 2011 9:57 PM

• zoey7879
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 8 2007
    • Posts 65

Evicting a "Co-Head'

I live in a public housing apt. complex in Illinois and I currently live with my former boyfriend. When we moved in, HUD listed him as a "co-head" or spouse, which I didn't really want. I got this apartment without his help. I've grown tired of his emotional abuse and want him out, out, out. I have a child and a job, he does not, but he won't leave.

Am I, myself, able to file an eviction process againt him being listed as a "co-head"?

Thank you.

• Sun, Mar 27 2011 10:35 PM In reply to

Re: Evicting a "Co-Head'

Who signed the lease? Just you or both of you?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Sun, Mar 27 2011 10:45 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,652

As above--did he sign the lease?

• Mon, Mar 28 2011 12:29 AM In reply to

• zoey7879
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 65

We both signed it. The Housing Authority gave me no choice.

I'm listed as the household head, he is signed under "Spouse/Co-Head".

• Mon, Mar 28 2011 8:28 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 49,652

Of course you had a choice--nobody twisted your arm---and his signature on the lease trumps any options you might have had to remove an unwanted guest-  he is not a guest.

Odds are extremely high that his rights to be there are exactly the same as yours  and generally speaking you have NO rights under a lease to evict or toss a co-tenant.

If he is threatening violence/ hitting you or child  --my suggestion is to take a more careful look at your states protection from abuse laws and orders.  Some places, it seems rather easy for female victims to get protection orders--and an order which mandates he stay 50 years away and no direct contact may for all practical purposes keep him out of the home?

• Mon, Mar 28 2011 8:58 AM In reply to

• zoey7879
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 65

No, I was not given a choice by the Housing Authority.

They said that he, being an adult who is not an appointed caretaker or my adult child, had to be presented on the lease as a Spouse or Co-Head. He had moved out in the past once before and the Housing Authority made the assumption, and put him BACK on the lease without me even signing for that.

He doesn't harm my child, but he is emotionally and verbally abusive toward me, which is why I want him out.

• Mon, Mar 28 2011 10:17 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 49,652

You positively were given a choice--not the slightest doubt in my mind that you had a choice. You had a choice not to execute a lease and you had a choice not to live with this guy. .

And I'll bet there is fine print in your lease  or Section 8 agreement that he must be on lease.

If he abusive towards you  then I think your primary option is to look at protection from abuse order and see if thats applicable.

BTW, what is his reported monthly income? Your monthly reported income?

• Mon, Mar 28 2011 11:01 AM In reply to

• zoey7879
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 65

His does not have an income. Mine is $200/mo. Not much by any means.

And yep, anyone that moves in has to be put on the lease.

• Mon, Mar 28 2011 11:04 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 49,652

Your post seems to suggest that you are stuck with him--unless you get a PFA that works.

So why is he so unemployed?

• Mon, Mar 28 2011 12:24 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

You chose to have him live with you. They explained what you would have to do in order for that to happen. No one forced you to do that - you were free to tell him to find somewhere else to live.

So you will have to talk to the housing people to find out what your options are.

• Mon, Mar 28 2011 2:32 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 49,652

You chose to live with the guy- and essentially it was your choice that he be added to lease --its NOT the LL's problem to divine a social resolution of domestic differences. .

If he is abusive--address the correct legal tools for same-a protection order.

So why is he not working?  If his presence is not legal in US  --report that and hope somebody cares?

If he spends his time with illegal deals--remember he is not your spouse--so it should be easy to turn him  in and probably invite cops over as your invited guests to search the place. .

• Mon, Mar 28 2011 2:52 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

SO if you didn;t want him on the lease all you had to do was not let him move in. But you CHOSE to let him move in and therefore required him on the lease.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community