SSDI Auxillary Benefits and Child Support

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 04-20-2011 5:46 PM by Drew. 3 replies.
  • 04-20-2011 2:54 PM

• Newelly
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-06-2011
    • MI
    • Posts 3

SSDI Auxillary Benefits and Child Support

Everything I read says my ex can get "credit" on his child support due to the auxillary benefits.  I get that.  I can make sense of that IF I were the representative payee for my daughter and receiving the check on her behalf every month.  But HE is receiving the check each month.  So shouldn't I receive the check AND the difference between that and support on top of that?  What I'm really wondering - the benefits started with a big lump sum back payment.  That also went to my husband.  We have joint custody of my daughter - should I appeal to be made representative payee for my daughter?  Provided I win the appeal would they then go back and order him to reimburse me with 1/2 the lump sum payment?

• 04-20-2011 3:04 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,237

Re: SSDI Auxillary Benefits and Child Support

Your prior post said you were the representative payee?

Did factually  your EX pay you  the amount court ordered?

• 04-20-2011 3:17 PM In reply to

• Newelly
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-06-2011
    • MI
    • Posts 3

Sorry for the confusion.  I have two children.  I was made representative payee for the older of the two and she will turn 18 in August.  I have her 100% of the time.  This post was in regards to my younger daughter that I have only 50% of the time.  When SS set up their accounts (2/11) they asked me how I wanted it set up.  Wanting to try and keep things even, I just told them I would handle the older child's and he could handle the younger ones.  Now that the support order (issued subsequently) has come out l'm confused and have to figure out if I should file an objection.  The referee basically said they weren't going to make a recommendation on what happens with the lump sum money.  He got the entire amount for the younger one.  She also calculated support, gave him credit for the SS payment and came up with a figure he has to pay me.  Problem is - I'm not getting the SS payment - he's the representative payee.  I don't know if I should file an objection with Friend of the Court or appeal to the SSA to be made representative payee for the younger one.  He has no arrearages.   

• 04-20-2011 5:46 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,237

I agree with you there seems to be a math / logic error ---You should be getting the SSDI plus the  figure he is to pay you as reduced for the SSDI   --why not approach it as a math error and see if folks will correct it.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community