Contractor botched roofing job

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Apr 30 2012 12:11 PM by adjuster jack. 7 replies.
  • Thu, Apr 21 2011 5:31 AM

• kpg7121
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 21 2011
    • NY
    • Posts 3

Contractor botched roofing job

In May of 2010 I hired a contractor to replace my roof which had wind damage. I submitted a claim to my ins. co. who agreed to cover the damages & pay the contractor. The claim was for approx. $4000. to replace one side of the roof. Well, the contractor was incompetent & I have water damage inside my house from the roof leaking. He was here once in an attempt to fix the leaks. A few months ago, after calling him & complaining he told me that he was here & sealed my skylights while I was at work. I have since found out that he lied to me & was never here. I called him yesterday & he has not returned my call. I called another contractor who was highly recommended to me & after inspecting the roof he has suggested a whole new roof as it will be diificult to find & fix all the previous contractor's mistakes, & he will not warranty any repairs. I called my insurance co. who have opened another claim. What is my recourse? Will the insurance co. go after this guy to recover considering that they paid the claim? I have not talked to an adjuster yet. Thanx.

• Thu, Apr 21 2011 12:17 PM In reply to

Re: Contractor botched roofing job

I doubt if the insurance company will pay for a new roof as claims due to poor workmanship are not covered by a homeowners policy.

The interior structural damage from the roof leak, however, should be covered and that's why there is a new claim (and another deductible) because the leak damage is a separate loss.

Your recourse against the roofer is only to repair his poor workmanship and the ensuing damage.

Just because another roofer wants to sell you a whole new roof (no surprise there) doesn't make the first roofer responsible for it.

If the skylights were not sealed properly when that section of the roof was installed, that can be fixed. You'll just have to keep calling around till you find somebody who can do small jobs and repairs. And when you do find him, make sure you are home to watch what he does when he does it. Even get up on the roof with him so you can get an explanation of what he's doing and why.

The trouble with skylights is that they have to be resealed every few years to prevent leaking. Once you accept that fact and have the maintenance done regularly you shouldn't have any more problems.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Thu, Apr 21 2011 4:28 PM In reply to

• kpg7121
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NY
    • Posts 3

Well, we're not sure if the water is coming in from the skylights. The contractor that looked at the roof doesn't think so because of where the water is damaging the ceiling. I never had a leak in my house before this contractor replaced the roof. I didn't mention in my previous post, but because the roofer didn't properly flash around my chimney, this past winter water entered the chimney, probably froze & it is now in a state of near collapse. On the other side of my house, I paid out of pocket to replace that roof side & the attached garage roof to the tune of $3600. He also made a few mistakes on that side, but it doesn't appear to be leaking. I'm awaiting word from the Ins. Co. to see what they plan to do. Thanx for the reply. By the way, the guy that replaced the roof was here today & talked to my wife while I was at work. So, I'll give him credit for at least showing up after I called him again this a.m. He hasen't as of this writing contacted me. So, we'll see.

• Sat, Apr 30 2011 5:01 AM In reply to

• kpg7121
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NY
    • Posts 3

Well you were right, Adjuster Jack. The Ins. Co. told me more or less that I'm on my own. Boy were they correct! I finally got the guy on the phone after numerous calls & I got the runaround. "I'll get there when I can", etc., etc. I don't think that this guy is even in business anymore. I got an estimate from another roofing contractor for $1700. to fix the previous hack's shortcuts & I'm waiting for a response from a couple more. Such as he failed to lay down a starter strip when he shingled, he used the wrong ice & water barrier, the ridge shingles were installed wrong so now they are curling up, he failed to install the flashing correctly around my chimney so water got in & froze dsstroying the chimney. I'll have to hire a mason for that job. I decided not to open another claim for the sheetrock as my deductible is $1,000.

I've had a few people tell me to sue the contractor. Ever try to get blood from a stone? I'm posting this follow up as warning to others. Before you hire anyone to work on your house  get references! Check with the BBB & other sites before you hire anyone. I'm probably looking at 3 grand at least out of pocket to get my house back to where it should be. That's 3 grand that I can't afford right now but I'll have to find the money somewhere. And there isn't a damn thing that I can do about it. I should have done my homework, but you live & learn.

• Sun, Apr 29 2012 2:45 PM In reply to

• kaebomb
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 29 2012
    • WA
    • Posts 1

I believe the contracter should have had insurance and bond to cover his mistakes. Attorneys: is this correct?

• Sun, Apr 29 2012 5:34 PM In reply to

kaebomb:

I believe the contracter should have had insurance and bond to cover his mistakes.

You're adding to a year old post but I'll answer it anyway because it's important for consumers to know this.

Should have and do have are two different things.

Most states have laws that require contractors to be licensed and bonded. Like many laws they get broken frequently by fly-by-night contractors.

Insurance is generally a choice. But when a contractor has insurance it does not cover his poor workmanship unless that poor workmanship causes damage to something else. Example. Contractor installs a roof that is faulty. The roof leaks and there is damage to the interior. The contractor's policy will cover the interior damage but not redoing the roof.

Bottom line, it's up to the consumer to carefully check out a contractor and make sure he's licensed, bonded, and insured and can prove it. As for workmanship, getting references to other of the contractor's customers and going to check out the work goes a long way toward making sure the job gets done right.

Unfortunately, too many consumers are suckered by low prices quoted by fly-by-night contractors, fail to do their homework, and end up with expensive problems after the contractor disappears.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • Mon, Apr 30 2012 9:40 AM In reply to

• Korevette
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 27 2012
    • NY
    • Posts 5

If this contractor was a so called handman, and not licensed, then you have a problem for sure. You can even have a problem if he is licensed.

• Mon, Apr 30 2012 12:11 PM In reply to

Korevette:

If this contractor was a so called handman, and not licensed, then you have a problem for sure. You can even have a problem if he is licensed.

True on both counts.

But, like anything else one does in life, the best way to minimize potential problems is due diligence.

• to keep and bear arms,
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community