Taking away parent's drivers license in AZ.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 04-26-2011 8:45 PM by Tiggers Bounce. 4 replies.
  • 04-26-2011 7:54 PM

Taking away parent's drivers license in AZ.

I am wondering if family member's have any legal recourse to take away (have suspended/revoked) a elderly parent's drivers license soley based on the fact they don't think their parent should be driving?

Parent is in mid 80's, excellent health both mental and physical. Parent takes care of all his/her own needs, runs household, pays bills, handles all of their own day to day activities. Only concern is that parent needed and has fully recovered from hip surgery and has doctors blessing to return to all normal activites.

Does not take any medications, no restrictions on license when renewed 4 months ago, and has never had any accidents. ( don't know if it matters, but I have ridden with idividual several times and am very comfortable with abilities)

Family members threatened to have license taken away and to remove personal vehical. Is this a possiblity?

By what means can they even try to do this... what is parents recourse? Parent is very upset and confused as to what needs to be done or how to fight against this. (said family member is not first  in line POA)

A point in the right direction to protect this persons rights would be greatly appreciated.

• 04-26-2011 8:18 PM In reply to

Re: Taking away parent's drivers license in AZ.

Not without intervention by the court or the DMV- and that would generally require medical evidence that it is not safe for them to drive.

• 04-26-2011 8:27 PM In reply to

Tiggers Bounce:

I am wondering if family member's have any legal recourse to take away (have suspended/revoked) a elderly parent's drivers license soley based on the fact they don't think their parent should be driving?

That's entirely up to the AZ DMV.

However, the DMV does have a process whereby family members can report a driver's medical or mental difficulty and the DMV will investigate and determine if the driving priveleges should be terminated.

See:

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/MedicalReview/MedicalRequirementsDL.asp

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 04-26-2011 8:35 PM In reply to

Check with your local medical university or elderly support group.  Many offer a driver's course for senior citizens where they basically take the road test, eye test, and some minimal dementia/decision making assessments and certify them as safe to continue to drive.  Not only that if they present that certificate to their insurance company they can get a break on their car insurance for having the assessment and passed.  IF they don't pass then there is a basis to consider removing their license and driving privileges.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 04-26-2011 8:45 PM In reply to

Thank You all for your quick responces. I have spent hours today trying to research this and failed.

I do appreciate you taking the time to help ease parents mind.

Adjusterjack thank you for the link...

All of you have a wonderful evening!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community