Question about Child Support , When a child turns 18?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 09-30-2008 1:49 PM by mcruzanh. 9 replies.
  • 09-28-2008 9:17 PM

Question [=?] Question about Child Support , When a child turns 18?

I currently reside in the state of Florida,
    and I had a question about child Support I would appreciate any suggestions or clarifications on
    my current situation.

My oldest daughter is turning 18 later this year , my son is 14 and upon reviewing my divorce papers I noticed that the support section stipulates , until the child turns 18 years of age, becomes emancipated ,becomes self supporting, or marries.

My daughter is planing on going to college,and I would like to know if I can ask the court to extend the support of my daughter until she is 21.

Do you know if that is possible?

Apprecite the help.

• 09-28-2008 11:21 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Question about Child Support , When a child turns 18?

Unless Dad agrees to it, probably not. Most states support cuts off in 18 even if the child goes to college with a few states that are exceptions and FL isn't one of them.
  • 09-29-2008 8:06 AM In reply to

• SPlum
      Consumer
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2008
    • Posts 915

re: Question about Child Support , When a child turns 18?

No, FL will not order this.
  • 09-29-2008 10:41 AM In reply to

Question [=?] re: Question about Child Support , When a child turns 18?

My daughter still in HS she will graduate next year, would my CS be terminate next month when she turns 18 or next year when she graduate?
  • 09-29-2008 10:49 AM In reply to

• SPlum
      Consumer
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2008
    • Posts 915

Do your papers say anything about till she graduates? That is typically the way FL handles it, that support must continue until they graduate high school.
  • 09-29-2008 11:15 AM In reply to

No, my papers don't say anything about HS graduation, only mentioned 18 years old, or emancipated or married.
    But if my ex cannot terminate her portion of the support next month and have to wait until the school year finish then will be good for me to have more time.
  • 09-29-2008 12:02 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,150

That may not be consistent with FL law which may allow for it to 19 or graduation if still in school---but look up law itself..

from another site -" Florida when child turns 18, or if child is in high school, then 19 or graduation from high school, whichever is later "

Generally state law could trump a poorly worded order--but ask your attorney.

• 09-29-2008 2:00 PM In reply to

Age of Emancipation for Child Support:

Florida :: when child turns 18, or if child is in high school then 19 or graduation from high school, whichever is later

Full list at http://www.divorcesource.com/tables/supportemancipation.shtml
  • 09-29-2008 3:21 PM In reply to

• CJ
      Consumer
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-02-1999
    • CA
    • Posts 1,651

Generally if support is ordered until 18 then it's 18 AND completes High School (as long as child is going to school full time).
  • 09-30-2008 1:49 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Question about Child Support , When a child turns 18?

I had this same question when i was going through my divorce. I asked the judge to specify in my final decree that it was until the age of 18. It was all change to state until the age of 18 and/or finish high school or emancipated.due to the statement(wording) leaving it open until she finish school,which included college also. Her attorney tried to sneak it in there.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community