Sue dealership for car title

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 05-27-2011 9:17 AM by Drew. 1 replies.
  • 05-27-2011 1:26 AM

Sue dealership for car title

I live in NY. I recently financed a car from a dealership in new jersey about a month and a half ago. I was given temporary plates which expired 20 days after receiving it. I was told that I should recieve the title within 5 days after making my purchase so i can register the car. It is now a month and a half and the dealership is giving me the run around. I am unable to drive the car since the temporary plates are expired. Is it too early to sue or take the dealership to small claims court to resolve this issue. Thanks

• 05-27-2011 9:17 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,309

Re: Sue dealership for car title

No--it is not too early-actually its getting late and leads one to suspect the dealer lacks clean title to convey to you. OUCH

Is this a used car?

Its hard to guess if this is a mere SNAFU or you are getting scammed. I would ask dealer to provide me a fuller insured properly licensed "loaner" until such time as they can deliver valid title and NOT return the  car I bought so they can hold it hostage. If the dealer is unwilling to supply a loaner until dealer sorts out its problems I'd strongly think along lines of this is a scam and dealer lacks  good title

I don't know if you can stop paying lender as if its an independent lender the lender may be protected against not being paid due to seller problems by what is known as the holder in due course doctrine

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community