WV State Police

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-22-2011 2:40 PM by Deb85. 5 replies.
  • 06-26-2011 5:51 PM

• Deb85
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-26-2011
    • OH
    • Posts 3

WV State Police

My fiance got pulled over by a WV State Trooper...the State Trooper said my fiance was illegally passing a vehicle so he gave him a citation code 17C-7-5. 

My fiance was going around a car that was pulling into a parking lot, he didn't accelorate over the speed limit, there were no cars coming in the opposite direction, and according to the law, code 17C-7-5, my fiance did not break the law. 

My fiance is fighting this in court and paid to have the officer's dash cam video subpoenaed (sp).  He received a letter in the mail from the state police stating "no video of the traffic stop was recorded."  My questions are, aren't officers supposed to have their dash cam recording every stop they make?  Also, where can I find a law regarding police dash cams.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• 06-26-2011 6:23 PM In reply to

Re: WV State Police

Deb85:
    He received a letter in the mail from the state police stating "no video of the traffic stop was recorded."  My questions are, aren't officers supposed to have their dash cam recording every stop they make? 

No.

Not every police car has a camera. And there is no law that says they have to use it when they have it.

What I suggest is that your fiance go back and photograph the road where he passed the car.

Here's the statute.

http://law.justia.com/codes/west-virginia/2010/chapter17c/article7/17C-7-5.html

Probably nothing he can do until he hears the testimony of the officer when he gets to court.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 06-26-2011 11:32 PM In reply to

Deb85:
    aren't officers supposed to have their dash cam recording every stop they make?  Also, where can I find a law regarding police dash cams.

Video capabilities aren't required by law.  Where installed, which usually is NOT in every vehicle, they are subject to department policies and not laws.  Officers can use them, or not.

In any event, video usually doesn't catch much because it is usually turned on AFTER they have a reason to stop you.  If you run, that will be on video...

• 06-27-2011 3:35 PM In reply to

If there's no tape, there's no tape. In any event the tape would likely show the officer AFTER the stop, not what the officer saw while driving.

• 07-22-2011 2:40 PM In reply to

• Deb85
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-26-2011
    • OH
    • Posts 3

Thank you for you response

• 07-22-2011 2:40 PM In reply to

• Deb85
      Consumer