What type of lawyer do I need?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 06-29-2011 3:08 PM by adjuster jack. 9 replies.
  • 06-29-2011 10:30 AM

What type of lawyer do I need?

My fiance and I were together for 13 years and lived together most of that time. We got a nice property together. He kicked me out and I would like to try and get a portion of the property. He had originally agreed to give me a percentage, but then reneged. What type of lawyer would I need?

• 06-29-2011 10:40 AM In reply to

Re: What type of lawyer do I need?

Probably a real estate lawyer as you could need to file a "partition action" (google it) if your name is on the deed.

If you aren't on the deed, a regular lawsuit for the money he owes you. Any business or contracts lawyer could do that.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 06-29-2011 11:30 AM In reply to

I am not on the deed. Also, any idea if there is a time limit on how long I have to file a claim?

• 06-29-2011 11:55 AM In reply to

The you probably have no right to the property. You were roomates or you were his tenant; neither of those give you any right to the property no matter how long you lived there.

• 06-29-2011 12:01 PM In reply to

But I helped pay the mortgage, car payments and utilities. In fact, the checking account was only in my name.

• 06-29-2011 12:04 PM In reply to

Mortgage & utilities - what you paid toward them was essentially your rent.

Making a car payment has nothing to do with where you lived.

You are not married to the property owner, you are not on the deed, therefore you have no ownership interest inthe property. You had 13 years to take steps to get a legal interest. I'm sorry you didn't do so but this is the result. 

• 06-29-2011 12:17 PM In reply to

Okay, thank you for your help.

• 06-29-2011 2:11 PM In reply to

You might want to contact a lawyer anyway to be sure that your jurisdiction has no recourse in your situation..such as detrimental reliance.  Only a local lawyer can tell you that.

However, unless the property was bought a long time ago, it is likely not have any equity, anyway, so there would be nothing there to split.  How much is it worth now?  More or less than the purchase price?

Don't let yourself be fooled by promises again!  Good luck.

• 06-29-2011 2:39 PM In reply to

It was bought over 10 years ago. And it is definitely worth more than the purchase price. It is a home and seperate lot. So, what type of local lawyer would you suggest that I talk to?

• 06-29-2011 3:08 PM In reply to

Business lawyer, contracts lawyer, divorce lawyer (even though you weren't married).

Just start calling around until you find somebody to handle it.

It's really just a basic lawsuit for money. Any lawyer can handle it if you are willing to plunk down a few thousand dollars as a retainer because nobody's going to handle it on a contingency.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community