The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

FMLA and Sales Representative Pay

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Aug 11 2011 11:52 AM by Drew. 3 replies.
  • Wed, Aug 10 2011 11:04 PM

FMLA and Sales Representative Pay

I live and work in NJ. I am a commissioned sales rep (my pay is part base pay, part commission). I am about to go on maternity leave under FMLA and was just informed by my manager that not only would I not receive commission for sales made in my territory during my leave, but also that I would not receive any quota relief in spite of my leave.

So, in other words, I am going to be held to the same quota (in spite of being out on leave for 12 weeks under FMLA) AND any sales that come in from my customers (and I have a defined account list) will not count towards that quota (nevermind receive commission payments).

This doesn't seem legal. Any attorneys or HR professionals with insight on this?

• Wed, Aug 10 2011 11:28 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

Re: FMLA and Sales Representative Pay

Not an attorney not still in HR---but still remember how some quirky quota formulas might work.

You gotta lay out the details of your quota and commission  math. My guess is that with a step function quota  your commission component once you return is likley to get severely docked for the peformance gap over the 12 weeks you were out. Its a constructive pay cut for being out. I'd review that with counsel--you may well have a point.

I see no legal fault in not paying you for commissions while you were out--but I think it is shortsighted bordering on the unfair if you essentially maintained a fixed book of repeat accounts and the repeats are essentially due to your continued service   If you were out for a 4 day vacation anda sale fromone of your accounts came in--would you get the commission, how about 10 days, how is plan worded.  Many sales relationships are long term--management may be unfortunately short term focuses--but thats not illegal. My daughter services a handful of major accounts-and prospects -I assure you she would find a way to maintain contact for 11.5 weeks of the 12 in question. If she developed the account---she will make sure she gets 100% credit. Politely, of course.

• Thu, Aug 11 2011 10:19 AM In reply to

• Beth3
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 24 2001
    • Posts 5,466

HR professional here.  In order to get some clarity on your commission pay, let me ask you a hypothetical question. 

Let's say you were taking a 4 week paid vacation and forget whether you would receive base pay during that time.  Under your company's vacation and commission policy, how would your commissions be handled?  I presume you would receive commission on sales made before you took a lengthy vacation while you were on vacation.  Yes?  (This assumes there's a lag time between the sale being made and the commission being paid.)

Would you receive commissions made on sales in your territory while you were on a 4 week cruise to Timbuktu and not working?  Would you receive quota relief while you were on vacation?

• Thu, Aug 11 2011 11:52 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

We, and especially Beth need some feedback if you want a realistic guess as to where you stand........

Also if you were out on some form of paid disability leave--how would your commissions and quota be handled?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community