Help!! My contractor walked away without finishing my house!

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 08-12-2011 9:50 PM by TVMUSIC. 2 replies.
  • 08-12-2011 7:52 AM

• TVMUSIC
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-12-2011
    • NY
    • Posts 2

Help!! My contractor walked away without finishing my house!

I am looking for a lawyer who would be willing to take my case on a contingency basis. I had my house rebuilt by a local contractor here in NY ( Near Poughkeepsie) The total price was 130,000 for the addition of a secpnd floor and some other improvements. I have a clear cut contract stating the details. Payment to the contractor were in thirds. When we got to the Last payment, I was worried because the house was in shambles, not even close to being done. The contractor assured me he would be able to move forward with the last payment, and the house would be done. I had no choice but to give him the payment. Needless to say, the house was left without siding, no entry, wires hanging off the side of the house ( central hudson sent me a warning to properly install it) No electrical panel, no stairs, no floors, no bathrooms upstairs, no ac, ALL of the rooms remained unfinished, My children and I ended up sleeping in the living room, I ended up taking a second mortgage to have the house finished, and I used most of my savings.The total amount I ended up spending was around 200,000  The money I used for the home was for retirement, and the home improvement was to bring the value of the house up. I don't have the resources to retain a lawyer, but I do have a good case, it was reviewed by several lawyers who stated this. I want to have my day in court with this contractor, I have a good case. Someone out there who can help me?   Thanks for reading this...

• 08-12-2011 8:06 AM In reply to

Re: Help!! My contractor walked away without finishing my house!

First of all, never give the last payment until the job is done, but I'm sure you know that by now.  Secondly, you will have to sue to get your money back, but no one is going to take this on contingency.  Use the Find a Lawyer feature to the right and start making calls.

• 08-12-2011 9:50 PM In reply to

• TVMUSIC
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-12-2011
    • NY
    • Posts 2

Re: Help!! My contractor walked away without finishing my ho...

I actually knew that than. The contractor told me if I didnt give him last payment, he had to stop, leaving house framed with only typer and roughed in.. I lost either way. At least I got more work done otherwise it would have been in even worse shape. I met with a lawyer showed him pics, and contract, he said I had a good case, than charged my 1000 dollars for the hour I met with him.. As I stated before I don't have it to put out like that, I was taken once.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community