breast augmentation malpractice?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 08-29-2011 10:27 PM by ClydesMom. 6 replies.
  • 08-29-2011 3:15 PM

breast augmentation malpractice?

I recently found out that the doctor who performed my breast lift and augmentation is not a licensed nor board certified plastic surgeon. He, in fact, is a laser skin treatment doctor. I had no idea. Is this against the law? I was awake (under local anesthetic) and developed a hematoma after. My scars are exrtemely painful and stretched out. Please someone help me with more information.

Thankyou.

• 08-29-2011 3:22 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,555

Re: breast augmentation malpractice?

christinew:

I recently found out that the doctor who performed my breast lift and augmentation is not a licensed nor board certified plastic surgeon. He, in fact, is a laser skin treatment doctor.

You might tryt contacting the MS medical licensing board, but I suspect that a licensed doctor does not have to be board certified to perform breast augmentation.  Probably better if you used one who was, but that's up to the patient.  Did he/she advertise that they were board certified?

Visit the following website for possible assistance:

www.msbml.state.ms.us

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 08-29-2011 3:52 PM In reply to

thank you so much for such a quick reply. I went into his office for stretch mark removal information and had mentioned I was want a breast augmentation. He said that he does them just does not advertise it. RED FLAG. I didn't think much about it at the time. After my procedure a close friend of mine in the medical field told me that he was not a pladtic surgeon. It left very confused and worried so I am just trying to find answers. My goal is not to get anyone into any trouble, I just want to know if what he is doing is legal and to give me peace at mind.

again thank you so much.

• 08-29-2011 3:52 PM In reply to

christinew:
    Is this against the law?

Unfortunately, no.  Few states if any require that a surgeon be board certified in the specialty in which they practice and plastic surgery is an area that remains HIGHLY unregulated and a "buyer beware" industry.  Physicians are only required to be licensed by the state in order to practice, board certification is a voluntary option.  Now most hospitals and clinics will NOT hire or grant privileges to a physician who is not board certified, but that does not stop a physician without certification from opening their own private practice, clinic, or private surgical facility.  The patient is whole heartedly encouraged and SHOULD ensure that their surgeon is not only board certified in plastic surgery or ANY specialty but do extensive background/reference checking prior to agreeing to any procedure.

christinew:
    I was awake (under local anesthetic) and developed a hematoma after.

The use of a local is entirely appropriate depending on the work done and bruising (hematoma) is common to almost all plastic surgery procedures done no matter who skilled the surgeon.

christinew:
    My scars are exrtemely painful and stretched out.

Not all patients are good candidates for plastic surgery.  Have you consulted with another surgeon to determine if the scarring can be corrected?

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 08-29-2011 4:34 PM In reply to

so as long as they are licensed in something (such as skin/laser treatment) they can perform surgery? goodness.. My next step is seeking a certified licensed plastic surgeon to see if any damage can be fixed. Its scary that this can happen and not be illegal.

• 08-29-2011 10:12 PM In reply to

Yes, very scary.  We have doctors here who do the same thing.  Dermatologist performing ALL KINDS of procedures that should be left to a  board certified cosmetic surgeon!! 

I "heard" and I can't remember where, that if they take a seminar in a particular procedure they are free to have at it.   Disgusting as it is. If a doctor buys a laser machine and takes the seminar, he can suddenly use it.  Doesn't matter if he's a proctologist and now wants to laser people's faces with it.

• 08-29-2011 10:27 PM In reply to

Truffles4me:
    I "heard" and I can't remember where, that if they take a seminar in a particular procedure they are free to have at it.

NOT exactly.  It is VERY state specific.  Some states DO regulate which procedures doctors can perform.  I believe NY is one of them but I could be wrong, it is hard to keep up with all 50.  

However in general, as long as a physician is licensed in the state they can perform MOST procedures.  That does not mean they won't end up in BIG trouble if they cause a lot of harm.  While there is no law preventing a dermatologist from taking a few weekend seminars in plastic surgery and starting a practice in cosmetic surgery without being board certified in it, if he has several very bad outcomes and lawsuits as a result he could lose his license as a result.  IF those results are tragic enough to cause death, there could also be criminal charges.  That has actually happened in a few cases.  

Truffles4me:
    If a doctor buys a laser machine and takes the seminar, he can suddenly use it.

Which is EXACTLY the reason that the American Society of Plastic Surgeons recommends that all patients considering undergoing ANY cosmetic surgery procedure ensure that the surgeon they are consulting is a board certified plastic surgeon in good standing.  There motto says it all:

Thousands of Member Surgeons
    One High Standard
    When you choose a doctor who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS®), you can rest assured your surgeon is qualified to perform your surgery.

They only admit board certified plastic surgeons to the society.  

Yet every year THOUSANDS of patients seeking cosmetic procedures go to non-board certified providers (some aren't even doctors at all) and get procedures done without asking if the practioner is qualified, board certified, or any of the other questions that should be asked before having surgery.  Sometimes they want to save money, sometimes patients don't know any better.  Either way the patient is the one who suffers the long term damage when they have cosmetic surgery with a poorly or completely unskilled provider.  

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community