Sick day requiring doctors note

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Jun 21 2012 2:20 PM by Lisa1305. 13 replies.
  • Mon, Dec 5 2011 4:26 PM

Sick day requiring doctors note

I've been with my company for 2 months, with a no days off for anything.  I'm currently home with a flu, and my boss is requesting a sick note.  Being that I don't have health insurance and can't afford a doctor's visit, I declined.  I suspect I will be terminated upon my return.  What are my rights, and should I pursue legal action if I am terminated?

• Mon, Dec 5 2011 4:32 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,646

Re: Sick day requiring doctors note

This is not High School where a Dr note is a free pass---your boss expects some sort of confirmation of a medical need--he "might" buy your honest short answer that you lack medical coverage and could not afford a mere "note"--honesty may pay---evasive talk may not.

You have no protected rights as such--except  as honesty and candor with your boss may produce.. 

• Mon, Dec 5 2011 4:33 PM In reply to

• AARDVARC
      Consumer
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 8 2007
    • FL
    • Posts 477

Unless you have an employment contract or CBA to the contrary, an employer can terminate you for any reason that isn't discriminatory (race, religion, etc.). An employer can fire you for missing work, even if that reason is illness. If your employer is willing to allow sick days, but requires a doctor's note to substantiate the claim of being sick, it is within the employer's right to do so. You have the right to choose whether to (a) provide the employer what they ask for, or (b) to apply for unemployment compensation benefits and seek a new job if the employer terminates you.

• Mon, Dec 5 2011 4:37 PM In reply to

• Beth3
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 24 2001
    • Posts 5,466

Being that I don't have health insurance and can't afford a doctor's visit, I declined.   I suspect I will be terminated upon my return.  So your theory is that you're better off having no job than spending the money to see a doctor? 

What are my rights, and should I pursue legal action if I am terminated?  You have the right to call the boss back, tell him that you've rethought your decision and that you will be seeing a doctor.  No, you shouldn't pursue legal action if you're fired because there's nothing to pursue.  The boss has every right to fire you for refusing to bring in a doctor's note to substantiate the reason for your absence.

• Mon, Dec 5 2011 6:27 PM In reply to

Hmm..  I was under the impression that the policy needed to be companywide.  My boss is just upset that it was on an inconvenient day, so he's trying to "stick it to me".

I guess I have to make a decision now whether my morals or my pocketbook are more important to me.

• Mon, Dec 5 2011 6:52 PM In reply to

There must be some free clinics in your area that you can go to.

Or go to your nearest county hospital emergency room and claim indigency so you can be treated for free.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Mon, Dec 5 2011 10:07 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 21 2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,854

Your impression is incorrect. Nothing whatsoever in the law says that all policies have to be company wide. You've been there two months; the employer has no way of knowing how often you're going to call in sick or how honest you're going to be about it. As long as he's not picking and choosing based on race, religion, national origin etc., he can have a different policy for every single employee if he wants to.

• Tue, Dec 6 2011 9:37 AM In reply to

• Beth3
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 24 2001
    • Posts 5,466

I was under the impression that the policy needed to be companywide.  My boss is just upset that it was on an inconvenient day, so he's trying to "stick it to me".

You're mistaken.  If the boss wants a doctor's note from you and only from you, he can require that. 

I guess I have to make a decision now whether my morals or my pocketbook are more important to me.

This hardly seems something worth losing your job over. Unless you're independently wealthy, I suggest you see a doctor.

• Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:13 AM In reply to

esteinmaier:
    Being that I don't have health insurance and can't afford a doctor's visit, I declined.

Several of the national pharmacy chains have walk in clinics where you can be seen for as little as $50-60 and get a note documenting illness.  You don't have to go to an actual MD just a certified medical provider.  Certainly $50 is worth keeping your job?

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:48 AM In reply to

The company policy was 3 days per the employee handbook, so the manager informed me I don't need a note to return to work.

• Tue, Dec 6 2011 3:05 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 21 2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,854

That is entirely your employer's decision.

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 2:08 PM In reply to

• Lisa1305
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 21 2012
    • TX
    • Posts 2

Im in the same situation except my company does not offer any insurance benefits, Does that change the out come of your responses?

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 2:11 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,206

No.

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 2:20 PM In reply to

• Lisa1305
      Consumer