Background check company cost me a job

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sun, Apr 22 2012 1:49 PM by LegalSecy. 9 replies.
  • Mon, Dec 5 2011 10:38 PM

• kbri73
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • CA
    • Posts 4

Background check company cost me a job

I recently applied for a job and was basically hired but the employer wanted to do a background check on me. the report came back and said I was guilty of a crime. I knew this was wrong but the employer did not care and hence I did not get the job. I called the background check company and they basically said that's what was TOLD to them. So i called the court and they ran my report and told me that I was clean. So I called back the background check company, told then this info and an hour later received a voice mail from them saying that, I was right and that I have a clean record and that the court told her the wrong info. Well the damage is done and still did not get the job.
          So my question is don't these companies have some sort of guidelines or rules to follow? Isn't there paperwork or forms to be filled out? They are allowed to call and get this info from someone over the phone and trust their word? I am very upset and need to know what I can do about this company and how they ruin me from getting a job.

• Tue, Dec 6 2011 9:17 AM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 23 2003
    • Posts 6,520

Re: Background check company cost me a job

Reviewing a past post you apparently had an incident resulting in involuntary termination and the inability to collect unemployment -- even after going through CUIAB.  Whatever transpired could be damaging and "ruin you from getting a job."

The "guidelines, rules and paperwork" are generally signed and agreed to by prospective employees.

• Tue, Dec 6 2011 2:14 PM In reply to

kbri73:
    So my question is don't these companies have some sort of guidelines or rules to follow? Isn't there paperwork or forms to be filled out?

Not required by law, no.

kbri73:
    I am very upset and need to know what I can do about this company and how they ruin me from getting a job.

Then see an attorney about a possible lawsuit for defamation. There will be the issue of proving you'd have been hired but for the defamation and what damages you suffered from it, but you might succeed in winning a judgment for whatever loss you can prove.

• Tue, Dec 6 2011 9:04 PM In reply to

• kbri73
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • CA
    • Posts 4

What does my past have anything to do with what i am asking about now? How is someone able to post a question on here if someone is going to judge them from previous questions that are not even relevant. Did you not read my question and see that my case was DISMISSED and I was not guilty of any crime?

• Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:18 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 23 2003
    • Posts 6,520

kbri73:
    if someone is going to judge them

I am not "judging" you. 

Background checks involve history -- ALL history is relevant.  Whatever occurred was significant enough for you NOT to receive UI benefits.

As stated, if you feel that you can prove a defamation claim, start by contacting an attorney to whom you will have to provide all of your detail; and, who will have to deal with past employers in an attempt to prove your claim.

• Wed, Jan 25 2012 6:55 AM In reply to

• macmm
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2012
    • CA
    • Posts 14

Our past follows us, background checks are tricky, yes there are no limitations or guidlines as to what is released, you should try to get this removed from your record.

• Wed, Jan 25 2012 7:30 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,656

Generally speaking an employer is free to not hire you for literally no reason at all, some prior wart on your employment history, something posted on facebook, or references which set off alarm bells or lack of prior references, or just some "sense" to move on.  Unless its tied to a protected issue such as age, sex, race  and perhaps some state specific taboos like height and weight --the employer can just move on, withdraw your offer, or fire you.

If somebody in your past is making false accusations of criminal conduct to others you may have a valid course of action against them for libel /slander

• Sun, Apr 22 2012 12:42 PM In reply to

• Rolendag
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 28 2012
    • NY
    • Posts 3

Wait, they used online company for background check?  Aren't they required to use goverment agency for that?

• Sun, Apr 22 2012 1:11 PM In reply to

Rolendag:

Wait, they used online company for background check? Aren't they required to use goverment agency for that?

No.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Sun, Apr 22 2012 1:49 PM In reply to

Rolendag:

Wait, they used online company for background check? Aren't they required to use goverment agency for that?

Even government agencies use background checking companies to do background checks.  I work for State government and we hire a 3rd party background check agency to do employment background checks.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community