Sewer back up in house.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-03-2012 9:16 AM by Drew. 3 replies.
  • 01-01-2012 7:42 PM

• Bcush
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-02-2012
    • MA
    • Posts 1

Sewer back up in house.

So in my basement there is a hole in the floor with a panel that is used to gain access to the clean out for the main drain in the house. (The Sewer)One glorious day my pregnant wife wakes up and says to me,"what is that awful smell". I get up and want to puke my brains out. All I could smell was sewer. So i went down stairs open then panel in the floor and there is water and *** and toilet paper all  strewn about. After dealing with this the water went down the pipe eventually and I observed that the cap to the drain had come off. This area where this pipe is located is under my foundation. Some of this stuff must have gotten under the house a bit further from where this panel is located. I cleaned out the hole called a rotor rooter like complaint to snake the line and the problem was solved, or so I thought.

After the first incident I cleaned out that little dirt pit under the house and put some bleach on it to try and get the smell out. Well it went away I would say about 75% but there was still a bit of stench thus anytime I wanted to use this area (it is a finished basement with a bar ect) I had to light candles to mask the smell. SO then about a month ago i have the same issue. Once again the house is filled with the smell of *** and once again it is the same problem. I once again call this company . They came out snaked the line again and said they could not seem to find any thing blocking the line and they explained they went out a certain amount of feet which would bring them into the street. The next day they came back with the same drain snake and then attached a camera to it. They put the snake through the pipe and it once again went to the street. This time because the camera was on the device we could see something was stopping it from moving forward. The tech then went outside with a hand held thing and this was used to located the exact point where the camera was stopped. Smack dab in the middle of the road outside my house. They marked this area and I then called the guys from the Highway/Water department and explained to them what the situation was. They then came out and dug this area up. What they discovered next is what really makes me upset

About 6 years ago the gas company for this half of the state (Nstar Gas) put a new gas line in the roadway. You can still see the difference in the pavement marking's where they had dug their trench. Well apparently when they put this new pipe in , they also smashed my sewer line in the process. Hey things's happens and i get that. The right thing would of been to call the Highway department so they could come out and take care of the problem. Why they did not do that is beyond me, Nstar is a multi million dollar company. It is not like it was going to be a money issue. So they go ahead and fix the pipe, wait a second, no they did not, so they go ahead and cause a  disaster. The workers if you can call them that  took a 3 inch PVC pipe and just sleeved it into my 5 inch  sewer line. That is a huge problem, 5 inch flow of water going into a 3 inch pipe not to mention all the toilet paper and other stuff that goes with it. Then there is the lip from the pipe that all this stuff would and did get caught on. That is not even the best part. They used a typical collar on one end of the pipe like they should and on the other end....WRAPPED ATRAFFIC CONE AROUND IT.A TRAFFIC CONE IN PLACE OF A PIPE COLLAR!!Then they just filled it in.

Hey if these guys had fixed the pipe on good faith and something happened, no problem. *** happens and not everyone is perfect. To try and fix the pipe like that, to make my living conditions a mess for the past 5 or more months because they fixed the pipe like that, to totally be that  negligent and have total disregard for the potential harm this could cause to both myself and everyone and everything living in my house. I called the company and spoke to the claims department, they were not pleased at all with what I told them. They are going to be even more upset  when they see the pictures of this mess. They said they will give me the money for what i paid for the drain company to come out those times which totaled 1,100 dollars. that is fine and that is right, but I am so mad about how things went down and what I had to  put up with all this time because somederelicts did not do something right the first time. The smell has ruined the rug in the basement as well as some of the fabric furniture. The sewer did not actually come into the living are but it was under the floor. WHo knows I might have to have the slab cut to clean the mess out. Not to mention those gasses from sewer are not healthy

Any advice would be much appreciated. DO I have any sort of lawsuit here? Thank you in advance.

• 01-01-2012 8:24 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,179

Re: Sewer back up in house.

Bcush:
    They said they will give me the money for what i paid for the drain company to come out those times which totaled 1,100 dollars. that is fine and that is right, but I am so mad about how things went down and what I had to  put up with all this time because somederelicts did not do something right the first time. The smell has ruined the rug in the basement as well as some of the fabric furniture. The sewer did not actually come into the living are but it was under the floor. WHo knows I might have to have the slab cut to clean the mess out. Not to mention those gasses from sewer are not healthy

First off, I am not an attorney.  At this point I would contiue to work with the company as you have been doing.  If they reimburse you for your repair expenses, that is great.  If you can show that you need to clean extensively and somehow have the smell treated, get some estimates for those costs and discuss with the company regarding picking up the tab or having them arrange for the work to be completed.

You would not be able to sue for what MIGHT happen, but you probably could if you incurred expenses or damages as a result of their work.  If you can work it out without a lawsuit, you will be way ahead $$ wise.  If you mention lawsuit, that will NOT bother the gas company.  Trust me on that one.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 01-02-2012 11:03 AM In reply to

You are not entitled to any money for being "mad" so please continue to work this out with the gas company for reimbursement of actual expenses.

You'd be wasting your time and money on a lawsuit.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 01-03-2012 9:16 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,274

You are not entitled to money for being "mad" ---but for gas company to have crushed a sewer line then patched it  with a plastic traffic cone is a new low for gas company (probably they used some contractor for street work)  but its lucky they didn't create a sinkhole, have gas lines break and water lines break and gas filter back along  lines into homes and the whole block blow up--and at the very least the senior manager for the gas utility at the time needs to be invited to take immediate early retirement lest the public utility commission want to get involved --this places every dig in that area for that decade under suspicion!

The gas utility would be wise to reach a compromise with you--entirely off the record --and you have more leverage off the record --once it goes on the record--folks tend to dig in behind legal barriers --and it would not surprise me that a major utility spends $ 250,000 of expensive internal and external talent to not pay out for a $10,000 problem.

You would be wise to try to jawbone a compromise short of legal threats/action.

Just my suggestion from somewhat dated experience with a major XXX utility!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community