auto sales fraud

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-04-2012 3:21 PM by superman1. 4 replies.
  • 01-04-2012 11:21 AM

auto sales fraud

I bought a car last week from a local dealer, in the past week ive found 11 problems so far. I dont want car anymore but im obligated to give dealer a chance to fix. I believe they dont know what they doing and are full of ecuses everytime i mentioned something. Now i left car at dealer to fix BUT  found out theres also a lie about mileage in car. Contract says as of 12/23/11 car has 61,168 miles but i found in glove compartment a carfax that says last reported mileage in nov.25 was 61,687 which is avg of 500 miles difference. Can i use this against them some how and break contract? i know i will be back and forth to dealer for them to attempt to fix several things they dont even know what they dealing with. Ive looked everywhere for answers and alawyer but no lawyers around rochester ny deal with this type of cases! please help with my situation

• 01-04-2012 11:27 AM In reply to

Re: auto sales fraud

If you bought a car that came with a warranty, that's not a bad thing (I don't know of any lemon laws in NY regarding used cars, but you're free to check with state consumer protection division folks).

One would presume that when you bought the car you'd check the odometer, but I don't see arguing that the numbers were anything but a typographical error.  (Now if the odometer read 16,000 and the last reported number was 58,547, then I'd take issue ... but you still had the opportunity to research/verify X-Y-Z before buying the car.)

"Can i use this against them some how and break contract?"

You're free to try, sure.

"... no lawyers around rochester ny deal with this type of cases!"

I can't imagine that's true, but then it would also cost more money than it's likely worth to hire an attorney.

• 01-04-2012 11:51 AM In reply to

for the past few hours ive looked around internet but every law firm i find nearby dont deal with this type of cases

• 01-04-2012 3:12 PM In reply to

elprinci585:

for the past few hours ive looked around internet but every law firm i find nearby dont deal with this type of cases

That's because there isn't likely to be a case.

You are free to write a $2500 retainer check to a lawyer and I'm sure he'll be happy to take your money and do whatever you want.

Unfortunately, there is no odometer fraud case here. A discrepancy of a few hundred miles can easily be explained by typos or inaccurate mileage estimates provided to Carfax.

As for the needed repairs, if you bought the car AS IS your going to pay for the repairs no matter where you take it. So, if you aren't happy with what the dealer is doing, take it someplace else.

If you have a warranty, your recourse depends on the exact terms and conditions of that warranty. If you want to post it word for word you might get some helpful comments.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 01-04-2012 3:21 PM In reply to

What does your warranty cover?

I'd start by reading that.

I don't think you are going to get very far with a 500 mile difference.

Unfortunatly, hiring a lawyer is likely to just spend more money for you, and you've already got a car that does not work properly.

For now, I think you probably need to let them have their crack at fixing it. I don't really think you can get out of your car deal now. And I really do understand, I've been in the same boat before myself.

I will say this much.  I have yet to buy a car and have the place that I buy it do a decent job of fixing it.  You might, but I never have.  I usually end up taking it to a small local mechanic in the town I live, and usually they seem to know what they are doing, and charge me much less than dealers.

I take my car to Joe's:)  He's never done me wrong as yet.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community