Overtime Pay- How do they get away with this?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 02-11-2012 7:05 PM by cbg. 8 replies.
  • 02-11-2012 3:04 PM

• Cwest79
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2012
    • WI
    • Posts 7

Overtime Pay- How do they get away with this?

I work for a moving company in Wisconsin. They have a couple in my State. Owned by Brothers, same name of business. The one I work for doesn't pay overtime until after 50 hours. The Company in a different city, same state pays overtime after 40 hours. Is this possible? And how are they able to get away with not paying overtime after 40 in general?

I'm a Broken Man in a Broken Land

• 02-11-2012 3:18 PM In reply to

Re: Overtime Pay- How do they get away with this?

File a wage claim with the state Department of Labor.  The first company is breaking the law:  it is 40 hours in a work week in every state.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 02-11-2012 3:31 PM In reply to

• Cwest79
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2012
    • WI
    • Posts 7

I heard somewhere that somehow they claim something to do with being considered seasonal work. I am employed year round but sometimes we slow down a little in winters or due to housing markets, this was a pretty good year. My company has been doing this for years and years. And they used to not pay overtime until after 60 hours in a week. I don't think they would do it if there wasn't some sort of loophole they found.?

• 02-11-2012 3:35 PM In reply to

Cwest79:

I don't think they would do it if there wasn't some sort of loophole they found.?

I believe you are incorrect.  OT is over 40 hours a week.  I would report them to the labor board.  Anonymously.

• 02-11-2012 3:36 PM In reply to

Cwest79:
    I don't think they would do it if there wasn't some sort of loophole they found.?

It doesn't matter if you are full time, part time, seasonal or the Pope.  If you work more than 40 hours in a pay week and you are a NON-exempt employee then they have to pay you over time.  They have got away with it because no one has complained to the proper agency yet.

• 02-11-2012 3:40 PM In reply to

• Cwest79
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2012
    • WI
    • Posts 7

I hope I am incorrect. That is 6 years of OT not gotten just for myself. Now ad in how ever many employees they've had over probably 15+ years of all that OT not paid. Thank You though, I will definitely look into it.

• 02-11-2012 4:01 PM In reply to

Don't count those dollars just yet.  Wisconsin law only requires employers to keep records going back 3 years.  So at best that is all you will get is 3 years retroactively.  The others are probably a loss at this point.  Still, 3 years is a lot.  However, it could be a while before you ever see the money.  Plus you also have to pay taxes on it.

• 02-11-2012 4:09 PM In reply to

• Cwest79
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2012
    • WI
    • Posts 7

I'm not concerned with getting any Money. Would be nice but More just want what is right for myself and my fellow employees that work our butts off for this place. Getting no recognition for any of it, on top of not getting what would be fairly ours and that is our overtime after 40 hours.

• 02-11-2012 7:05 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-21-2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,803

FYI, it is true that employees of a seasonal employer are not due overtime.

There is, however, a Federal definition of seasonal for this purpose, and I very much doubt that a moving company will meet that definition.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community