Retaining Wall Issues?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 02-13-2012 9:10 PM by Drew. 4 replies.
  • 02-12-2012 11:44 PM

• Md City
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-13-2012
    • MD
    • Posts 2

Retaining Wall Issues?

Hey Guys new to the site,

My neighbors property has a retaining wall on his side which seperates our two properties. The issue is it was built out of cinderblock and has shifted/slid dramatically. Everytime it rains the water pours out from the bottom of the wall with rocks, dirt and debris. I have contacted my county about this 2 + years ago and the inspector has "condemned" the wall. Well here I am to this day nothing has been done at all. The property is currently up for sale though the property owner assured me "He'll get to it". My question is how do I move forward? Do I sue the property owner? Which kind of lawyer would I be looking for? Thanks. 

• 02-12-2012 11:56 PM In reply to

Re: Retaining Wall Issues?

If the condition is damaging your property, you certainly have grounds for a lawsuit.

It's called a private nuisance lawsuit and you can use the search feature to the right and start making phone calls.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 02-13-2012 8:52 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,591

90 seconds after he sells the place he will forget any promise to address the problem!

If he altered the topography and the water run off the proper solution could involve megabuck costs to regrade and properly drain the land!

A suit against the land (not just the owner) and a lis pendence  might sure gum up his sale prospects.

Then again a nice clear readable sign on a post 1' inside your property line but facing his side,  warning prospective buyers of possible major cost to address this  defective retaining wall  might produce faster results.

And depending on your  state disclosure laws you might send both owner and his agent a copy of the city inspection report condemming his wall --they might be required to thus disclose it to buyers. .

• 02-13-2012 5:59 PM In reply to

• Md City
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-13-2012
    • MD
    • Posts 2

Thank You Both. The "sign" idea is all ready in progress and am searching for an attorney. Thanks again.

• 02-13-2012 9:10 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,591

By now I'd probably also have a good guesstimate of cost range and issues from a friendly civil engineer --say $15,000/25,000 or whatever--just to put issues into prospective early in sequence.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community