Hurt and Confused

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 02-25-2012 1:29 PM by Kivi. 3 replies.
  • 02-25-2012 10:45 AM

• brian47
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2012
    • MO
    • Posts 2

Hurt and Confused

Subject:  Back  injury   at  work

Hello   my  name  is  Brian,  and  i    was  hurt  with  my  back  on   the   job  in  May  6th,  2010   and   was   off   work   for   four   days .   There  was   a  claim   filed   at   work    and  was   release   to   work   with   limitations    with   light   duty   from  my   Doctor.      i   was  the   production  manager    and   we   only    work   three    days  a  week   and that   was   shared  work .  But  the  doctor  told  me   my  back   could   take  up  to   6  months  before   healed    100%,,,  So  I  went  back  to  work   with   limitation    and   light   duty  with  a lot  of    Pain..     In  October    the   Company    shut    down   and   plant  manager  told  me  if  i   need   any   help   with  my   back   to   call    Comp  Ins...   out  of   springfield...    So  i   drawed   unemployment    till  the   End  of   year  2010.    With  my   back   still  hurting   and  getting   worse,   i  tryed  to   call   comp   and  they   said   there   was   no   claim   ever   reported   so  i  seeked   a    lawyer's    help   and  he   said   he   would    file  a    claim   for   WorkComp  to  get  onboard    Hearing.     In  july    we   had  a   Deposition   Hearing   and   natually     the   comp  lawyer     brought  into   evidense    three   Documents   that   the   first  Document    was  about     Doctors   statement     for  injury   on    April    28  th ....        Which    from  my  Medical   records   show ,  There   is   no  such   date...      Fake ?     The   second   Document   was   for    May   10 th  that  i  claimed  that  is   true   and  it   says   just   like  i   said   light   duty   with  limitations  and   Doctors   recomends    Tharaphy.    and   this   was    in  My   Medical   Records .        The   third   Document    was   for   May  13th     a   Full  Release    with  no   Limitation  100%   just   two  days  after  i   got  the   first   Light  duty  Release.   " This   i  contest  this "    because   my   work   records   would   show   that  i    did   worked   a   Full   week   Returned   32   hours   from   Tuesday   11 th   throuh   Fryday  14 th   and   could  not  be   at   no   Doctor's  Office  on   May 13,    and   copy  of  my    time  cards   that   was   punch   in  and   out  from   work  would   prove  this  ...     So  now  I  know    the    Doctor      is   close  Friends   with   the   Plant   Owner  and    Believe  that   he   faxed   her  this  Release  without   my  knowledge,  and   without   seeing   me  in  person.   That   is  why   the   Third  Document  is  not  in  my   Medical  Records.             My  lawyer   still    has   me   on   hold    and  it  is    hard  to   get    Medical   treatment     when    you   can't   work   and   can't    afford   to   Pay.        So    i   had  to  borrow     money   for   a   MRI   out   of   Springfield     mo.     and    says    Bulging    disc    at   L4,  L5   PRESSING   AGAINST   THECAL  SAC  Nerve   causing   Lumbar  Stenosis ,    so   still   waiting   for     Comp   ins ,   to   help   me   or   get  onboard     so  i  can   get   Medical  help.    The  Lawyer    continues  with  next   hearing   in    September    so   i  have   been   borrowing  money   from   all  my   enlaws    to     try    a   Chiropractor     with  Decompression   Tharaphy    10   visits   so   far   and  Don't  seem  to     be   helping   but    will  need     more   treatment,   money  is   really   getting   hard   to   borrow   when   you   dont  have   a   job.   Second   week  of     October   my   Lawyer   calls   and     ask   if   i  had    a   Raiting     yet  ,,   like   i  was    seeing   a   Medical   Doctor .   He  knows    what   i    have   been   doing     and   trying  to   pay   my  own  Medical  Bills ,   with   my   wife   getting    ssi    Disability      from   Cancer   and   Copd.      Im   Trying  to   get   back  to   work  to   help   her    with    household   Bills    and   Medical    Bills.         I   have     over   20  years    in   the    Boating   Welding   Industry    and    just    need   relief    to    get   back  to   work..   Went  to     Hearing      today   and  still  not   seen   a  Judge   ever.   So     my    Lawyer    told   me    that  Comp    insurance     wants      to    Settle   this ,    with   one    amount      on   one   Check..     and   then    ask    me   about   a  Raiting   again   for   a  further   settlement   hearing  .      Im    not   a   Lawyer    but     this   case    is     not     feeling      wright..      Wondering   if   my   Lawyer    is   working   for     the   insurance   company  instead  of   me.. ,,,      "you   know   im   just   still    waiting  for     Medical   treatment  "  ...    and   my    weekly   check  ?  ,   its   been     10   months  since    he  filed  the   claim...    three   times     for  hearing   dates      but   never    seen    the   judge  ,,,,,     no    medical    treatment   yet   or    loss    wages    yet     ,       lawyer    also   wants      me  to   pay    for    Deposition      that      he's   never   used   in  front     of   a   judge    yet   ,     either   thow  ,       two    out   of   three    Documents     are      Fraud      Documents   with   our    proof  ....         I called   Lawyer  up   and   told  him   the  amount    that   i  would   settled    for    on    Oct   26 th,,     He     said   he  would     write  this  up   and   Present  it   to       the    Comp.  Lawyer   ,,    it's   been   two   months   and   still   waiting ,,    it   does    not   seem      wright  ,    applied   for    several   jobs     to   take     a   chance   and   they    say ,    not    good    with    Background     check    with   a   Open  I njury   claim ...     just   asking     for    advise     if    you   could   help  me   out    in   any   way   ,,,     i   need   either   medical   Treatment     and   my    wages     or    a   settling   offer   so   i  can    continue   Medical  tratment   so   i  can    go   back  to    work..   Now   is  Febuary    and   suppose  to  have   Mediation   Hearing   Next  week   with   a   Jaudge,,   now    the   Lawyer   just  call    and   ask    if  I  would  settle    for    4500   hundred   dollars    and   that  there    comp   lawyer    is    admitting    to   some    injury   fault     about   5%   Rating      and     if   I  would   settled   for  this .. My  lawyer    is   not    wanting   me     to   see    the   Judge      for    some   reason,,   he   said   I   did   not   have   to  be   there ,,,,,      whats   up     with   this......   im   feeling   i  need   to   be    looking   for   another   Lawyer   if    you   can   help      or   give  me    your    opinion  ,,,    please !          Thank   you   .

P.S. 

should    i   fire   my   attorney     or    just  get   legal  help     else   where..     What  should  i   do?

thank  you   for   your   time       brian45

• 02-25-2012 12:14 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,014

Re: Hurt and Confused

Long blocks of text are hard to read will discourage responses. In the future, hit the enter key a few times.

I hate to suggest that you fire your attorney at this late date. You clearly need one. But if you fire your current attorney, any new attorney will need some time to get up to sped on your case and that would almost certainly mean postponing  next week's mediation hearing. And more delay in your case.

You really need to sit down with your attorney and get an understanding of the issues in your case. I strongly suspect that there is some medical issue on whether the MRI findings were the result of the injury since the test itself was so long after the injury occurred.. Probably most people over the age of 35 will have some MRI findings that might be considered significant, even if there is NO history of a back injury.

Depositions are not usually entered into court proceedings. If the person who gave the depo later testified in court, it might be used to impeach his testimony if he said something different at the depo.

• 02-25-2012 12:52 PM In reply to

• brian47
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2012
    • MO
    • Posts 2

so   yu  think    i  should  not   go  to  the  mediation   hearing   and   let  my   lawyer   postpon    it   again     or    what  should  i   do  next

• 02-25-2012 1:29 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,014

I am not an attorney and, while I have worked in this field, it was not in MO. WC is VERY state specific. To my knowledge, no MO WC attorneys follow these boards.

I am going to refrain from telling you what to do.

Your attorney works for you. Most WC attorneys do have lots of clients and can be pretty busy. Nevertheless, I suggest that you try to meet with him or her before the mediation. Try to get an understanding of the contoversy in your case and what its LEGAL strengths and weaknesses may be. Do more listening than talking. I know that it is hard, but you are not going to become "unconfused" if you don't do some listening. In particular, when your attorney explains the other side's "position" on your claim, try not to get upset or emotional at what you perceive to be the "lies". Many WC cases have these issues. Most the of "players" have seen it before, even if you have not.

If you refuse to settle because the other side won't budge (or budge enough) from its low offer at mediation, ask what happens next? How long does it take before you actually goes before a WC judge? And, then, get an honest answer about what your attorney believes will happen if you go before a WC judge. Please note that your attorney cannot absolutely predict the outcome. But, he or she should have some experience with the local WC judges and at least have an idea of how they might see your case. I know you want to think that you have a slam dunk case, but you need to prepared to hear that may be you don't. Several things went wrong in the beginning and it may not be possible to completely undo all of it.

Ultimately your attorney works for you. If you don't feel you are getting adequate representation then you do have the right to discharge him or her. However, you will need to retain a new attorney as you really are way too confused to do this on your own. No new attorney that you engage at this point is going to be able to represent you at next week's mediation. Heck, you probably won't even get an appt that quickly. So you are looking at a continuance. If you do decide to go with a new attorney, your current attorney can probably file the request for a continuance on the basis that you have relieved him or her as counsel, but you need a little time to find new representation.  This one probably also happens a bit more often than you realize and the system will treat it as a routine event.

Don't let the grass grown under your feet, however. Also, do understand that your current attorney may still be entitled to a lien on your recovery for the work done to date. (This one is somewhat state specific, so ask about that one.)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community