I voted as a permanent resident in 2010

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Mar 21 2017 1:10 PM by DOCAR. 8 replies.
  • Sun, Feb 26 2012 1:10 AM

• johndaems
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 25 2012
    • IN
    • Posts 1

I voted as a permanent resident in 2010

I voted as a permanent resident in 2010.

I did not know i was not allowed to vote.

when i got my driving licence they asked me if i wanted to register to vote.

And i just told him okay, i even showed him my permanent resident card.

When i went in for voting i brought my permanent resident card and showed them the card as well my driving licence ,nobody did say anything i was not allowed to vote,they told me it was fine and i could vote.

now i just got my new permanent resident card for the next 10 years.

but i'am thinking to become a us citezin now.and started reading into it.

And found out you not allowed to vote or even register for it.

Should i apply now for citezinship or just leave it as being a permanent resident ?

i'm really confused and worried about everything , I always try to do everything following the rules but this suprised me.

I just dont understand that someone is able to register to vote and vote if they not allowed to.

I'm married to an us citizin in 2008 and did everything by the rules for coming up here i work pay taxes everything.

can someone give some advice

• Sun, Feb 26 2012 4:38 AM In reply to

Re: I voted as a permanent resident in 2010

If you want to pursue citizenship, you probably want to consult an immigration attorney to help everything go as smoothly as possible. Let the lawyer know about the registration, however I don't see that your registration to vote would be a huge problem towards citizenship. However, now that you know you aren't supposed to vote until you become a citizen, I suggest you not vote :-)

• Thu, Mar 1 2012 1:34 AM In reply to

The law allows permanent residents to participate in local elections. So, you may not vote for presidents, senators, congress people, or any of those things. If you had voted in such elections that require voters to be US citizen, then you will be considered fr criminal penalty and you may even lose your green card. You can contact the USCIS official and explain your situation before they trace out that you have voted by themselves.

• Tue, Mar 6 2012 5:20 PM In reply to

Hello Johndaems:

Voting when you are not able to is a serious offence in the United States. If you apply for citizenship they will ask you the question and then they will most likely deport you. More importantly, you are inadmissible. What this means is that if you leave the United States you will not be able to re-enter. You need to know this. I regret to have to provide you with the bad news but I believe in explaining to people exactly where they stand.

I understand to some degree that you feel that you should not have been granted the registration but mistakes happen and unfortunately government employees are not liable for their actions. However there is 'some' good news. First, let me provide you with the law in this area:

(D) 17/ UNLAWFUL VOTERS-

(i) IN GENERAL- Any alien who has voted in violation of any Federal, State, or local constitutional provision, statute, ordinance, or regulation is inadmissible.

(ii) EXCEPTION- In the case of an alien who voted in a Federal, State, or local election (including an initiative, recall, or referendum) in violation of a lawful restriction of voting to citizens, if each natural parent of the alien (or, in the case of an adopted alien, each adoptive parent of the alien) is or was a citizen (whether by birth or naturalization), the alien permanently resided in the United States prior to attaining the age of 16, and the alien reasonably believed at the time of such violatio n that he or she was a citizen, the alien shall not be considered to be inadmissible under any provision of this subsection based on such violation.  This applies to voting before, on, or after the 30th of September 1996, so no one is clear on that one. If you are placed in removal proceedings, the good news is that there is a case, Woodby v INS, 385 US 276 (1966) that may require that you acted knowingly and willfully. I hope this works out for you. With warm regards Steven Riznyk
     Lead Attorney
    SanDiegoBizLaw.com
    214-764-3462
    myImmigrationAttorney....

• Tue, Mar 21 2017 11:31 AM In reply to

• sara1990
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2017
    • MD
    • Posts 2

Please respond!

I want to follow up with your case because i have the same case as yours, please kindly share me your experience.

Thanks.

• Tue, Mar 21 2017 12:39 PM In reply to

• sara1990
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2017
    • MD
    • Posts 2

I was wondering if you've ever applied for citizenship?

• Tue, Mar 21 2017 1:10 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,444

You do realize that this thread is over 5 years old and the original poster has not posted anything since the first post? Try starting your own thread with your particular facts and circumstances, and perhaps someone can give some guidance or experience.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community