Bullyed in ER

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 02-29-2012 9:55 PM by provemedmal. 17 replies.
  • 02-27-2012 12:17 PM

Bullyed in ER

Recently my 12 yr old daughter was in a auto accident,after I picked her up at the closest place that she had been left at by ambulance personel and Sheriff's deputys (the local bar and grill in a small town close to the scene) I chose to take her to the ER to have a large bump on head and other bruises and scrapes checked over, the main concern being the head injury. She had been released by the ambulance crew on her own signature.?    While there and thanking the employees for watching over her, another deputy showed up saying he would transport her to the hospital,when I declined he insisted that I follow him so I would be sure to come to the sheriffs office to make a statment, as I had been with the involved parties earlier that day. After we arrived and were finished with the imaging,that showed no extensive truama,and a brief exam,we were told to wait. After some time,about two hours, they then requested a urine sample from my daughter,who had just used bathroom.When she tried to sneak what they said was tap water off, the nurse came in all huffy and said "you will give us a urine sample if we have to strap you down and give you a cathader to get it" my reply was "you better bring two because you'll have to start with me". We were told then we could not leave until said sample was produced,that we ended up giving so we could go home. Is this allowable behavior for med staff? Can I get at least an apology, or? I understand that I can request a formal inquiry and have started that avenue by writing to the hospital administrater asking for an explaination of procedure, any ideas or suggestions?

• 02-27-2012 12:25 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,590

Re: Bullyed in ER

There is something missing in your post----?

Generally if somebody tried to physically restrain you from just picking up and leaving the premises you'd have a interesting lawsuit against them.

But if they merely tried to jawbone a urine same out of her I'm not so sure any law was violated.

• 02-27-2012 12:28 PM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

I'm sorry, but your post appears a bit unclear and that there may be something more to the story.  If your daughter was only in a vehicle accident, it would be more straightforward.  However, you indicate that you were "with the involved parties earlier that day."  Maybe only clarification is needed, but something is very weird about the following:

1) releasing a 12-year old on her own signature

2) their dropping her off at the local bar and grill

3) your issue with the requirement for a urine sample and what she "tried to sneak"  -- If your daughter couldn't go because she had just gone, why did she give them anything?  She could have stated (and it appears you were there at that time) that she had just went and couldn't go again. 

4) What do you mean by "with the involved parties earlier that day"?

• 02-27-2012 1:07 PM In reply to

thehangman59:
    "you better bring two because you'll have to start with me

You were off to a good start.

thehangman59:
    we ended up giving so we could go home

Then you sheeped out.

thehangman59:
    Is this allowable behavior for med staff?

Sure it's allowable.

You allowed it.

You could have walked out at any time.

thehangman59:
    Can I get at least an apology, or? I understand that I can request a formal inquiry and have started that avenue by writing to the hospital administrater asking for an explaination of procedure

You can request whatever you want and I'll bet that the hospital will reply that nobody did anything wrong or just ignore it altogether.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 02-27-2012 1:22 PM In reply to

The ambulance released her on her own signiture at the bar where they left her, to transport the two others in wreck, one died. I thought it was not correct for her to sign a release.  I have no idea why, unless the employees at the bar agreed to watch her till I arrived.   I dont know why or if she did that only that it was very late and we all wanted to go home. And she did tell me she had just gone,but would try.  We, meaning the 3 in crash, the husbands of 2 others, myself and girlfriend were all in mountians fishing for the day prior to the wreck. AS another note ,the only knowledge I had was a message I recieved at home from one of the husbands emergency satt phone.    &nbs... T

• 02-27-2012 1:26 PM In reply to

None of that means much of anything.

What's relevant is that your daughter's medical costs should be borne by the person whose negligence caused the accident.

Concentrate on that

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 02-27-2012 1:32 PM In reply to

Kind of harsh, considering you fly the Constitution as your avatar. The insurance claims have been the least problem in this monkey hump.

• 02-27-2012 1:38 PM In reply to

Who was driving?  Is there any reason for them to believe daughter was driving?

The reason I ask is that WY's implied consent law (allowing urine tests to be taken with or without consent) applies to minor's driving a car even without a license....that might be where this is heading?

And what is the mysterious connection with others involved?

• 02-27-2012 1:40 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,590

No--it may have been inappropriate for medical staff to want a urine same as a condition of leaving--but fact is you all hung around until she gave one----no real damage issue--no laws violated I can see.   Dubious judgement--but  hey--lots of that ---

• 02-27-2012 1:51 PM In reply to

I believe the sheriffs deputy was the reason for the request as a possible contributing to a minor charge to add on to his ever growing list of possible charges against driver. She and everyone involved  were appalled at the procedure followed,or not followed.  There is no mystery connection with others, just victims of a terrible tragedy chaffed by over zealous cops with their own agendas. Maybe if you would explain what is so mysterious?

• 02-27-2012 2:02 PM In reply to

thehangman59:
    Kind of harsh, considering you fly the Constitution as your avatar.

The Constitution doesn't give us rights. It lists the ones we already have.

A right not exercised is a right waived.

Once the tests were completed and you determined that your daughter was OK, all you had to do was take her by the hand and walk out the door.

The only power that the hospital personnel had over you was the power you gave them.

That's what's hitting my harsh button.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 02-27-2012 2:08 PM In reply to

thehangman59:
    There is no mystery connection with others, just victims of a terrible tragedy chaffed by over zealous cops with their own agendas. Maybe if you would explain what is so mysterious?

thehangman59:
    another deputy showed up saying he would transport her to the hospital,when I declined he insisted that I follow him so I would be sure to come to the sheriffs office to make a statment, as I had been with the involved parties earlier that day

Details matter; how were you involved with them earlier?

thehangman59:
    I believe the sheriffs deputy was the reason for the request

Of course; hospitals don't usually take it upon themselves without the police involved.

thehangman59:
    a possible contributing to a minor charge to add on to his ever growing list of possible charges against driver

Well, if these people got 12 year-old daughter drunk...obviously that would be contributing...you wouldn't want them to pay the consequences if they acted illegally...with daughter involved?

thehangman59:
    just victims of a terrible tragedy chaffed by over zealous cops with their own agendas.

Unfortunately, such tradegys are usually someone's fault.  Of course it is their job to look into it.

• 02-27-2012 2:32 PM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

Of course, no one on this site (including attorneys) can give you legal advice.  However, your posts are quite unclear as to all of the circumstances. 

There are certainly many tragedies involved based on what you posted, but the rest is still unclear.  For someone to even begin to attempt to provide hopefully helpful information (again not legal advice), more information is needed as requested. 

• 02-27-2012 2:38 PM In reply to

Like I said before we were fishing earier in the day...  &nbs... So it was the sheriffs threat?  &nb... I was with them and know they hadn't..and why didnt they just ask me ?  And if thats the case why didnt they spend more time "looking" into the cause as reported; sudden loss of control, no excess speed, rough road instead of harassing and intimidating the driver and my daughter?

• 02-27-2012 2:43 PM In reply to

Tell me whats unclear? I tried to keep it short as per forum guidelines but still dont see whats missing, granted it is more complex than what is there but the important aspects are included there is no mystery but why we were treated as we were.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community