California Law regarding illegal to sleep in a car

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-02-2012 3:19 PM by Riply206. 9 replies.
  • 03-01-2012 5:14 AM

California Law regarding illegal to sleep in a car

My husband was violated by his parole officer for sleeping in our condo that we own. His parole officer wants him to sleep in the car and not in the house, the parole officer has made this part of his stipulation. However, the police department told my husband that if he were to sleep in the car and they see him, they would arrest him and that he should not do what the parole officer is wanting. There has been a few car breaks in in my neighborhood and my car was one of them to be broken into. So now my husband is back at county jail for sleeping at home. Where can I find a statue regarding sleeping in a car is unlawful, so I can present that at my husband's hearing. This Parole Officer is out of control and thinks he's above the law. His supervisor backs him up. We are going to have to take this up with Sacramento. This is inhumane to force my husband to sleep in a car, rather than in a home. Dogs are not allowed to be in a car too long. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

• 03-02-2012 12:50 PM In reply to

Re: California Law regarding illegal to sleep in a car

sunnysmith:
    His parole officer wants him to sleep in the car and not in the house,

Why isn't hubby allowed to sleep in the house?

sunnysmith:
    Where can I find a statue regarding sleeping in a car is unlawful

That can differ by city and county....which are you in?

• 03-02-2012 12:57 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,457

sunnysmith:
    My husband was violated by his parole officer for sleeping in our condo that we own.

Is there a condition of his parole that is preventing him from being in the condo?  What is it and why?

It could be a city ordinance that prohibits sleeping in an auto.  Where do you live?  You can call the city or go online and find ordinance info.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 03-02-2012 1:03 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,303

If there is something in the parole conditions that say he is not to reside or sleep there then odds are that is enforceable --I doubt PO can require him to sleep in car or violate another law --but he may darn well be able to require that he follow the conditions of the  PO -

-and while it might be super inconvenient---hubby may need to find a different place to sleep!

• 03-02-2012 1:20 PM In reply to

I suspect the hubby was not allowed to sleep at house due to something like abuse and the P.O. said something like, "I don't care where you sleep as long as it's not THERE!  Sleep in your car if you have to!" etc.  Not really an order if said that way.  He can sleep at a friend's.

• 03-02-2012 1:41 PM In reply to

Yes, I agree with kath on this one.

I really have to doubt he was told he MUST sleep in his car.

There's something missing to the post it seems to me.  

As said, it sounds much more likely he was told, "I don't care where you sleep, in your car if you have to, but not there in the condo."

and I bet there's a reason he can't be in that condo.  He can likely get another apartment, or rent a room or hotel or whatever right?  

That, just sounds more believeable to me anyway.

Good luck.

• 03-02-2012 2:31 PM In reply to

Sleeping in a car is not an option. Since he is obviously barred from staying with you (I assume due to an RO) then he needs to find a friend or family to sleep at. Pretty simple. Sleeping in a car is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community