Child support & Abandonment!!!!!!

Latest post 03-14-2012 12:23 PM by DPH. 2 replies.
  • 03-14-2012 8:45 AM

Child support & Abandonment!!!!!!

My boyfriend got a letter in the mail stating that there was a child support claim made against him by a woman he dated over a decade ago. It stated the child is 9 years old and that there was a previous child support payment made by my boyfriend to the child's mother in 2005. My boyfriend denies the child and there has been no paternity test as of yet. A hearing for the case is set for April 11, 2012, however on March 12, 2012 my boyfriend was arrested and locked up for abandonment of the child. If paternity was never established, how can he be charged with abandoment for a child he didnt know existed before a montha nd a half ago??

• 03-14-2012 12:06 PM In reply to

Re: Child support & Abandonment!!!!!!

I don't see how he could be arrested and jailed for "abandonment" of a child where paternity was never even established. Are you sure you have the whole story here? It is possible he had a default child support order entered for him which means he did not appear for a hearing and was named the father in default. He could have been arrested for non payment of support if there is an arrearage. if there is an order of support he somehow was named the Dad and did not show for a hearing. He needs to talk to an attorney. Is he still in jail?

• 03-14-2012 12:23 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,439

Re: Child support & Abandonment!!!!!!

Nothefather:
    My boyfriend got a letter in the mail

Who sent this letter?

Nothefather:
    My boyfriend denies the child and there has been no paternity test as of yet.

Does he deny the payment in 2005?

Nothefather:
    If paternity was never established, how can he be charged with abandoment for a child he didnt know existed before a montha nd a half ago??

He needs to ask his attorney.

I certainly hope that you have the whole story and don't get blindsided.  Good luck.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community