Restraining Order

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-26-2012 11:02 AM by DPH. 2 replies.
  • 03-25-2012 10:20 PM

Restraining Order

Tomorrow I have a hearing for a restraining order against my ex-girlfriend. There is currently a TRO in place which expires with this hearing. I would really like to not go, in which case the order will just be dismissed.

However, there is some information that I want to get to my ex regarding a criminal case where she is the alleged victim and I am the alleged perpetrator. It is the exact same information that would come out in the hearing, but I simply don't want to put something on her record and do further damage to our relationship down the line.

We're unfortunately both stuck in this adversarial system when neither of us wanted to be.  Essentially she used the legal system abusively with a false complaint.  I don't want to press charges, because I think the real problem in the issue is the very poor way the state handles reports.  I also have several reasons to believe she had no idea how the state would handle her actions.

The problem is that because there's a criminal case going on, I'm not suppose to contact her in any way until after the case is resolved. (This is ordered by a lower court than the one we'll be in tomorrow).

Would it be safe for me to go tomorrow, find her attorney before the hearing, and hand what I'd like her to see to the attorney? And then leave before the hearing commences? Or would this likely be seen as a violation that could get me charged with "contempt" of court orders?

Thanks

• 03-26-2012 10:05 AM In reply to

Re: Restraining Order

ZachGilkar:
    Would it be safe for me to go tomorrow, find her attorney before the hearing, and hand what I'd like her to see to the attorney?

To what purpose?

Her attorney doesn't work for you. Anything you give him that you aren't prepared to say in court will only be ignored. Count on it.

And if your purpose is a thinly veiled threat designed to get her to back off on the criminal charges, that could result in unpleasant consequences to you.

If you want the TRO to be extended you go to court and say why.

If you have criminal charges against you, you defend.

What you are suggesting isn't going to help either.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 03-26-2012 11:02 AM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,440

Re: Restraining Order

ZachGilkar:
    However, there is some information that I want to get to my ex regarding a criminal case where she is the alleged victim and I am the alleged perpetrator.

You need to zip it and say and do nothing at this point.  I would be willing to bet that anything you "try" at this point will turn around and bite you on the butt.  If you don't believe this, ask your attorney.  You do have an attorney don't you?

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community